need ATV help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Zach12

need ATV help!

Yo, waddup. this is my first post on the forum and it looks like its not that active of a forum but I may be wrong...

anyway, the situation is that right now I have a beautiful 2003 Honda XR100 that I love but I have outgrown it. so I am trying to sell it and I would like to replace it with an ATV for I have found that I am more into heavy off-roading. I have no ATV experience but im a quick learner, so I need some advice. I am looking for an ATV that is affordable (1500-2000 max) and would do well offroad (utility ATV) and Im thinking I need a 4X4, what are some good smaller sized ATVs I should be looking for? also is 4X4 neccasary to good offroading (in other words, how well would a 2X4 do?) and also where are some good places to sell (my dirtbike) and buy (ATV)

any input appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

Hey Zach!

Definitely post it everywhere "free" first.

Off-Road.com's classified is at:

Off-Road.com Free Classified Ads

And we just came across a new site today. Looks like most of this site's readership is in the NE, so great if you live there... but doesn't hurt to post it, even if you don't. They have mostly ATVs but there is a listing for bikes too.

Used ATVs for sale, ATVs for sale, ATV for sale, Used ATV Classifieds for sale, ATV Classified Ads for sale, Free ATV for sale Ads, used four wheelers for sale, used quads for sale, used quad for sale, ATV Parts, ATV apparel for sale

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

Your price range is very low so make yourself a wide list of used quads you're interested in. If you convince yourself that only one is the absolute best because someone tells you so, you'll probably have to shop farther, wait longer and pay more for that one special ride. If you have a list, you can take best deal on any of them. Figure out which years are good with which ATVs.

Depending on the conditions you want to ride in, 4x4 isn't absolutely necessary. We rode trails for several years on a Suzuki LTZ400 and there are lots of used ones out there now. What we didn't like? Zero racks to hold any tools or spare anything, and having to constantly shift. You'll have that with most non-utility quads. How important is performance compared to convenience to you?

On the other hand, we've also ridden trails for many miles on a Yamaha Grizzly 4x4. I personally love an automatic with 4x4. Men in the house prefer a 2wd sport bike they can shift, for maximum performance. We ride the exact same trails.

Finding one for a couple thousand dollars? It's going to have a lot of hours on it, likely be pretty beat up.

You'll find Honda owners across the country are hugely loyal because those things run FOREVER; you can probably get your hands on a good deal there on an older model and still get years of use out of it.

For some reason, Arctic Cat utility owners are loyal too, which we've never understood, because honestly we've never been impressed with them, especially the smaller cc bikes. However, you'll see them everywhere and may get a good deal.

So start reading boards like crazy, ask owners what problems they've run in to - if you get the same answer twice, beware. It doesn't necessarily rule a model out. If you know what a potential problem might be, go fix it and you should be fine. That's better than not knowing. (Yamaha YFZ450 had a wiring problem in 2006 that everyone complained about. Factory fixed it for 2007 and later but if you end up with a 2006 model, it's really easy to ask where to simply wrap electrical tape to prevent wear.)

So basically if you have unlimited budget and are buying new, you want to pick the one model that's right for you. If budget is number one consideration, you want to find the best deal in your area.

*And don't fall for the internet scam that says they'll ship you one from somewhere out of the country for a ridiculous price. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Go see the bike in person before you commit. Ride it, even just around a parking lot, but better would be on a trail somewhere. If they won't let you, don't buy it. Take someone with you that knows ATVs if possible.

Does that help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Zach12

thanks for all the advice, I know that im getting a used one and i wont be able to afford new. also i dont mind if its beat up and used, all i want is good off-road performance and ofcourse reliability(i prefer offroadability to speed performance) also it will be a fun project to clean up and restore a little. i am still pondering 2X4 VS. 4X4 tho, 2X4 would be cheaper and easier to find, but im thinkin i might need 4X4 for water, climbing, crawling, but at the same time, most of my use would be suitable for a 2x4 and every now and then i would do extreme stuff. what are some good used 4X4 models/brands that I should look into?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Zach12

what about Polaris ATVs, ive seen a few that are 4X4 and Automatic and relitively cheap, are the reliable/long lasting?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

We've reviewed a few of them - we see the Sportsman out on the trails a lot.

Polaris ATV Reviews - ATV at Off-Road.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Zach12

what model is this?

93 250 4x4 polaris atv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode