Yamaha Warrior won't accelerate problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 AM
JeepCJ-5V-8

Yamaha Warrior won\'t accelerate problem

Hello all, I could really use some help...I have a 98 warrior that has been running very well, after sitting for a few months (with a drained carb bowl) she started right up, but will only run at an idle, bike will die or choke out when attempting to accelerate, I have removed the carb and thoroughly cleaned, checked float, made sure jets are clear, then replaced. I still have exact same results, will not rev. Does anyone have any ideas that I am overlooking? I'm starting to think it may be the CDI but I hate to spend the cash if not nescessary. Anyone? thanks for the help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
FastEddie

Re: Yamaha Warrior won\'t accelerate problem

I am having the same problem. I bought a warrior and built it. The carb was a mess, it's running, but give it gas, it dies. What to do? Maybe shoot it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
OffroadRandy

Re: Yamaha Warrior won\'t accelerate problem

I have a yamie warrior as well it ran great when i bought it but then i encountered the same trouble. Check your valve clearances that was part of my problem.If that dont work put a little oil in the spark plug hole the rings might have dried while sitting.If that dosen t work check the cdi it is expensive but if one is put on it will make the quad work very well.And these quads i find work way better with 3/4 of a tank of premiuem and 1/4 tank of racing fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
mc355ss

03 yamaha Warrior Won't Rev up

Yup, I have the same problem with mine, I just bought it 3 weeks ago and rode it 3 times. It ran perfect the first time but I did hear some valve ticking when it was warm. Changed Oil. The second time it smoked (oil smell) when I started it for a few seconds then was fine. Third time it smoked for a while and I let it idle and warm up, rode it up and down the field, parked it for 15 min and went to ride and it just will not rev up. Acts like the choke is on if you give it gas it will not rev up. I tried both leaning it out (shut off gas and drained bowl while running) and also added fuel while trying to rev and neither one would get the slightest rev out of it. Just acts like a bad spark. I ordered a aftermarket rev cdi box for 89 bucks and will see what happens....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Dunerookie

make sure parking brake is off/not set...secondly check your fuel screw...1/12 to 2 turns out should be enough.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Jent98

2001 yamaha warrior 350

I also have these same issues...just spent $255 on a "tune up" and my acceleration issue is still there....any advice?...where is the fuel screw?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Dunerookie

fuel screw is on the very bottom. if you have a stubby phillips you might be able to get to it. otherwise loosen it )carb) up and either turn carb enough to get to it or take it off..1/12 turns to start. another good site with lots of info is Bluetraxx.com :: The Definitive Yamaha Sport Quad Resource! Raptor 700R 660R - YFZ450 - Banshee ..its a yamaha forum site and you can learn a lot there. How are you jetted?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Jent98

Im not quite sure...this is the first ATV Ive owned..learning how I go, what did you mean by how Im jetted?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Dunerookie

The Yamaha Warrior is a good quad to learn on. It is fairly simple to maintain and work on. However like any machine it can make you pull your hair out at times. Jetting is what regulates the fuel into the carb. So lets start with basics and tell about your warrior set up.. example: air box lid on or off...type filter, foam or K&N.....has the engine been modified ( high compression piston or performance cam) and any thing else you can think of. for starters make sure you use fresh gas preferably premium gas. and start with a clean air filter and fresh oil and clean oil filter. I also recommend buying or getting your hands on a repair manual....money well spent. your jets are inside your float bowl. you will have a pilot jet and a main jet and needle. pilot regulate up to 1/4 throttle...main jet is up to about 3/4's throttle and your needle is the rest...needle and main work together.....there are a few good sites that talk about jetting. Bluetraxx is one. It is not hard to do.....but you need to do some research and enjoy the journey.....If you just had it tuned up and it doesnt run I would take it back to the person that tuned it and tell them it doesn't work right since you tuned it....I hope some of this helps....good luck..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
wilsonad

Same Issue

I am also having the same issue with my 87 warrior (white bros E2 Slip on, K&N Filter, Racing mixed with primo fuel). I rebuilt the carb and this didnt seem to help me either. I get the throttle 1/4 way then anything past it will stall and kill the engine. This made me think that it was the main jet but I opened the carb and checked the main jet again and all seemed well. So I opened the airbox and removed the air filter and kind of covered it up with my hand and put it at full throttle no problem. So I thought maybe I put to much oil on my K&N but that didn't do it either. I am going to try and adjust the needle and see what that does.

Quote:
make sure parking brake is off/not set...secondly check your fuel screw...1/12 to 2 turns out should be enough.
Are you referring to the idle speed screw or the pilot air screw?
It seemed to me that the messing with the idle speed screw is the same as adjusting your throttle cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode