Yamaha 2002 Grizzly 660 hard to start when cold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
petecolorado

Yamaha 2002 Grizzly 660 hard to start when cold

I just picked up a used Grizzly from a friend. It is very difficult to start when cold (~ 40 degrees). With full choke, or half choke it took me about 5- 10 minutes to start the bike, I was almost going to give up. The choke seems to work since if I try to put it back on when the bike is warm the bike will die. I have not done any troubleshooting yet to confirm if the choke is fully closed. I did install a new plug, to no avail. Apparently this has been a problem since it was new. It has 700 miles and 65 hours on it.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed; I know the valves have not been adjusted. My friend has even tried to use “quick start fluid” but it does not helped. One thing I noticed that is interesting is that it has a better chance of starting if I use the pull rope, yet the electric starter turns over quite fast. Perhaps the coil or ignition system is weak and the starter takes too much current from the spark, I doubt it, I’m reaching here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
weezy1

Re: Yamaha 2002 Grizzly 660 hard to start when cold

I have a 2002 grizzly 660 and have had the same problem since I bought it used in the fall of 2002. The dealer told me that adjusting the valves would solve the cold start problem. They were wrong and I have been dealing with the problem ever since. It seems to be a common issue but all the things I have tried haven't fix the problem. I found a site that talks about the problem but it was under consrtuction. It had some other good mods for the grizzly too. You might want to check it out at www.grizzhopper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode