2 WD or 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
jefflesh

2 WD or 4x4

OK, here is a simple question that I expect will have a complicated answer. What is the primary reason(s) to go with a 4x4 over a standard 2WD ATV?

I am looking into getting an ATV for myself really soon. I plan on using it mostly in Ohio and Michigan. That being said, I will also use it while on a trip to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I was looking to get the Raptor 700r, but I was also looking at the Sportsman 800 EFI. What are the limitations of each machine? Which one is just more fun to ride?

I grew up on motorcycles so I know how to shift and brake, while I am fairly new to the world of ATVs I am not new to the world of off-road vehicles.

Any help would be great!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Re: 2 WD or 4x4

Well, it depends on what you want it to do. If you want to go fast all the time, get the Raptor. That sounds like a duh-huh, right? But, here's the other side of it. 4x4 is a MUST if you're ever going to be in the snow or deep mud. Also, you're going to be limited by the Raptor if you want to haul camping gear, cooler, and 200 lbs of firewood. You're not going to be able to throw the 4x4 around turns and jumps and such. So, the moral is, it just depends on your own preference and what you want to do with it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, here's the other side of it. 4x4 is a MUST if you're ever going to be in the snow or deep mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. With good tires and enough throttle there are not many places a good 2 wheel drive atv wont go. And if nothing else spend a few hundred and get a winch.

As far as the manuverability of a 4x4, some now are selectible. If not, put a Warn 424 select on it and have the option of 2wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Apprentice

Normally, I would agree. But have you ever tried to ride one in better than a foot of snow? It doesn't matter what kind of tires or how much throttle. The front end noses in, and the ride is over. This guy is in Michigan, so like here, he'll see some snow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Scott B

There is a nice compromise. Polaris made a Scrambler 400(2-stroke) and 500 (4-stroke) 4x4. It is a "sport" quad with switchable all wheel drive. It is heavier and less aggressive than a Raptor, yes. But still a fun, competent quad, and when the snow or mud gets too deep, a push of a button with your right thumb gives you true 4 wheel drive! You may still find a left-over new one (500) at a dealer if you look, I think '04 was the last year?? I think there is even a plow available from one of the aftermarket manufacturers!
Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM
DeepBlue

If you are considering the a Utility class you should consider the New Honda Rincon.

The reason i moved from Sport class to Utility class is because of the ride. I'm getting older and don't recover as fast as i used to from getting banged around on the trails riding those straight axles. I have a Honda Rincon now and it is like floating on air. I still give the sportys a run for their money and have no problem flying that 600lb creature off the jumps. the biggest difference is how i feel in the morning after riding all day! Another plus to the 4x4 is it is a work horse and fun in the mud and water. There are a lot more options when you have the untility. I say bag the Sportman and consider the NEW Rincon. Good luck with your decision and I'm sure what ever you end up getting you will have a great time riding regardless.

Later,

Steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:51 PM
jefflesh

Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up, getting a Bombardier Outlander 800. Actually my wife got it for me, she know that's the one I was looking at. I have about 3 hours on it now, I know it's not a lot but I am also going to school and I don't have a lot of time or space to ride it around here. There are some trails behind my house and it is a blast, very powerful and responsive. I must say that I think I made the correct decision.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Well done, you can ride that everywhere
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Good choice Jeff,

I was going to suggest taht machine for what you want to do.

It is the most :sporty" feeling utility quad out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 PM
forkedhorn

I would be scared in the ozarks, you need the 4x4 to go over vertical areas gently ,or load in a pick-up etc. in my oppinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode