2003 KFX400 - Starting Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
kherman123

2003 KFX400 - Starting Problems

My 2003 Kawasaki KFX400 died while riding and will not start again. It just backfired a couple of times, died, and would not stay running when re-started. Now it will not start at all.

I have trouble-shooted to the best of my ability. This is what I have discovered thus far:

1) The spark plug will not produce a spark.
2) The starter relay does switch over.
3) The black and white wire running to the ignition coil does not produce any voltage (checked with the multi-meter).
4) The same wire does point-to-point from the starter relay to the ignition coil.
5) The problem is not the relay because I hooked up a friend's starter relay, and still no spark at the spark plug.
6) My bike does have a kill switch, but I disconnected it from the ignition coil loop, and still no spark.
7) Its not the spark plug, because again I am receieving no voltage from the coil to the spark plug (also checked with the multi-meter).

I've deduced so far that the ignition coil is not receiving any voltage from the starter relay to apply to the sparkplug, but the relay itself is okay.

Any suggested directions to troubleshoot why my spark plug will not fire will be much appreciated.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
kherman123

Re: 2003 KFX400 - Starting Problems

got it goin.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Apprentice

#7 is not a good diagnosis. The voltage coming to the plug is way over the scale of your multimeter. That voltage is going to be in the 20,000 to 50,000 volt range. It is also going to be for such a short duration that your multimeter could not read it even if it were in range. Try a spark plug, and if that doesn't do it, let us know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Apprentice

Oh yeah, the duration thing applies to #3 as well...you would have to have an oscilloscope to "see" either one of these signals. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:26 PM
kherman123

Got her going. It died while riding because the air filter hose came off while riding, and after cleaning the carb and putting her back together there was a ground the connects the ignition harness to the battery neg connection that i overlooked and didnt reconnect.

A pic of the test ride...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 02:15 PM
DeepBlue

Nice Riding Gear.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:56 PM
kherman123

Oh, you knowz... Thats the only way to roll around the neighborhood. Notice the flip flop sandals. Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode