Off Roading Forums banner

2001 trx250ex

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  beekilla 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
Just put a crank in my son's 250ex, now its puffing white oil smoke. Cylinder and piston were not in bad shape, so nothing was done there. Did I leave out something, so that now its pumping oil into the combustion chamber? I have a factory manual, and didn't see anything obvious. I will tear it down tomorrow, again, and see if anything jumps out at me. Thanks!!

#2 ·
So long as the engine isn't making any funny (bad) noises, run it a while. I assume you did a good job assembling the motor. You oiled the cylinder before installing. So, that excess oil is pushed up by the rings, pooled at the top, then shoved right out the exhaust valve when you cranked it the first time. Now, all that oil is in your exhaust pipe, and will take a while to burn out. Just keep running it as usual to burn out the oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#3 ·
Well, I did use what the manual recommended for oil quantity, and ended up overfilling by a little less than a 1/2qt. I drained that, and ran it for 10-15 minutes, smoking white the whole time. I oiled all the moving parts, during assembly just as required. Exhaust system is oily, so I will give running it more a try before tearing down again. Thanks for the reply, and are you anywhere near Reidsville, NC? Lived there for a year some time ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.