'05 HONDA ES reverse shift problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 AM
CCRider

\'05 HONDA ES reverse shift problems

Bought a brand new Rancher ES last Friday, ran for about an hour in yard/driveway, taking it easy for breakin.
After about an hour the ES would not shift into REVERSE. All the other gears work fine (N-5) up and down shifting.
Can use the manual shift lever to get reverse (it's NOT easy to shift though, but I guess this is normal?). Been reading alot about sensor problems with the ESs. Checked the wire going to the transmission, it's connected, shift cable is pulling the shift lever on the transmission hard enough (I think).
Read one post about bypassing the microchip in the handlebar so the Red button doesn't need to be pushed in? (didn't understand the fix)

Any help appreciated!thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:55 PM
CCRider

Re: \'05 HONDA ES reverse shift problems

UPDATE*******guess everyone was stumped on this one, including my dealer's lead tech.

Took it back, tech spent 6 hours diagnosing problem, changed ESP (computer), all sensors (angle, speed). Finally found the problem to be that the little brass button ground contact that the booted wire connects to (to the left of the reverse shift lever on the rear of the engine) was NOT being activated from within the engine housing when trying to shift with ES into reverse. This was a first for him, and the last for me (of this 1hr old bike). Engine would have to be pulled, major disassembly/teardown.. not me. I threw in the towel and went to the salesman and he gracefully returned my full cost for the Rancher ES in credit towards a Foreman (NOT ES!!!!). So far we love it but we only have about an hour on it (which is about how much time we had on the ES). I just "feel" a WHOLE LOT better about the new bike, for whatever that's worth, it shifts ALOT smoother. Even my WIFE likes it better!
Good luck with your ESs, but this is my story.
As Arnald said "I'll be back" if I have problems with my Foreman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode