2 wd / 4 wd capabilities? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

2 wd / 4 wd capabilities?

Hi, I'm really unfamiliar with quads. The only one I've driven is a Yamaha 400 4x4 while on a holiday and its got me interested in getting one. I'm picturing driving logging trails, hydro clearings, gravel pits, crossing streams and some mud and peat bogs. What should I be looking for? I drive a lifted and locked jeep CJ7 and really like off roading, but would like an ATV as well. I don't plan to haul around equipment or a moose on back, but maybe a passenger? Are 2 wd ATV's similar to the difference between 2 wd and 4 wd trucks (ie night and day)? Are the 2 wd's driven more like a motocross bike, ie speed and momentum to clear obstacles? Do I need a 4x4 with automatic to climb obstacles? How trail worthy are 2 wd atvs?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Re: 2 wd / 4 wd capabilities?

A few years back, My father and I swore up and down we would never own a 4x4 quad just because we were amazed of where we could go with a 2wd.

However, the key word is "could". We would go most places, but you end up trying to carry speed and hit things harder than needed in a 4wd.

We both own 4x4 quads now. He has a 400 Suzuki Eiger Auto and I have a 500 Suzuki Vinson. Both of us have taken these things where we shouldn't of been, but came out unscathed because we didn't have to go at something so hard.

The weather conditions you are going to ride in matters a lot also. i.e. snow.

As far mud and peat bogs, well, 4x4 with a winch.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:09 PM

there are alot of nice 4x4's and 2wd's out there to get. I own a 2 wheel drive honda 400ex and love it, but im getting a honda rincon in july, but am keepin the 400. What brand of atv were you thinking of buying? Honda has there new rubicon that is really powerful. It is said to out pull the new rincon, which i hope is not true. Yamaha has there grizzly 660, and there bruin 4x4's which are very nice quads to ride and have. Suzuki has there vinson 500 and there king quad 700, which is the most powerful out there according to "Dirt Wheels Magazine". Polaris has there 700 Sportsman, which is a little too heavy, but powerful, and can go through anything you want it too. The Kawasaki's arent too good though, they are having problems with the belt drives. My friend has a Prarie 700 and had to take it back about three or four times in less than a half of a year. There are alot of very nice quads out there to buy, I hope you make a good choice, and hope to see you riding out there someday! I hope you have fun with many miles of riding. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM

To respond to 400 EXC's statement

Your statement of hoping a 500 with high and low range totaling 10 different gear ranges wouldn't outpull a 650 with no low range and just 3 gears total is probably not founded.

To further state yes, the 500 Rubicon, new or old, would out pull the 650 rincon. However, in a drag race or performance oriented competition the Rincon would win. It was designed for speed and agility.

As far as your opinion of the Kawi's, well lets ask you a few things.
First how is the erson riding it? Is he using it to pull heavy weight that would cause premature wear? How is the clutch tuned? Where is his backlash set? What brand of belt is he using? Is the shop that is fixing it knowledgable?

If all of that is answered and none of it applies, or everything is the way it should be and the problem still persists, then your buddy may have a bad bike, but to state that the whole brand is bad because of your one experience, is, well, unfounded; again.

As far as the 700 Prarie I have a friend that has that thing very overloaded and haven't had a single belt problem yet. He is carrying 2 20gallon spray tanks (one up front and one in the back) and pulling another 50 gallons on a trailer. He is using this machine in relatively steep terrain and under and extreme load. In the same aspect he has also tuned the the clutch for his usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode