Hello all, newbie here, needs advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 08:31 PM
fordman

Hello all, newbie here, needs advice

Hey guys,

My name is Dan. I live in Monroeville, Pa. I'm currently looking into buying my first quad. I have no experience with bikes of any kind at this point. I've been more of a car guy so far. I don't have a ton of money to spend, and am looking for a good beginner quad with some power, lots of upgrade options, and all around fun. I'm 6'1, 190 lbs. I was looking at the Yamaha Blaster. The salesperson told me it definately won't be too small for me. Does anybody have any experience with this particular model? Do you think I'm too big for it? I also read about the Bombadier Rally. That one seems bigger, but has a smaller motor (176 cc). Any input into what atv would be good for me to start out on, and also give me lots of bang for the buck. I'm sure I'll also end up upgrading mine, so aftermakret availabilty of bolt on's is a must. Finally, can these things be stores outside? Will the atv rust if I leave it out on my patio covered with a tarp in the winter? I'm trying to figure out everything I'm going to need before I take the plunge. I have an F250 pickup for transport, I'm just going to need to find a big ramp to get the SUV all the way up into the bed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks
-Dan [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
fordman

Re: Hello all, newbie here, needs advice

anybody out therE? I'm looking for a quad with speed, thats not too expensive, and highly customizeable. I plan on riding through woods, on trails around PA, Ohio, and West Virginia, and also in the snow. I've been told for myu purposes, 2 wheel drive will be enough. I don't plan on hauling anything, or plowing, or working with my atv. Any advice from you more experience guys?

-Dan [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:57 AM

When planning on purchasing a new ATV look at everything available in your price range. If your price range is open look at the features available in the sizes you require.

Resale value is generally better in a 4x4 model in more "woodzy" terrain locations. If you are planning on mostly enjoying the trails and puttering around your home for light utility use, the 250 utility class would work fine.

One of the least expensive units you can purchase in that class is a kawasaki bayou 250. Now although a tough little utility machine it leaves something to be desired in the recreational side. Ths Suzuki Ozark has the rack space but just allows a little more suspension ans somw zip.

Now, when choosing a pickup you went with a beefier, heavier unit: Why? Use the same logic for picking an ATV. Although you probably could of got but with a descent 1/2 ton and a strong V6. But life is a lot easier with what you chose right.

I would recommend that you look at the Honda 350 Rancher. It is still considered a lighter duty machine, but comes in a 4X4 model and has some more available add ons later down the rode. If you pick a machine like this you are more likely to hang on to it for the longer haul.

Plus, like your pickup, you don't have to work it as hard to do the same job. Not to mention it's not as hard on the machine.

The salesperson was correct in stating that a 200 would likely work for you, but in all truthfullness those machines are generally intended for a older kid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Well, what size are you preferebly looking at? Honda has the 450's out there, which are pretty good in power, to get you through the things you want, or the polaris scrambler 500 4x4, it is a 4x4 and is a sport atv, but it is heavy like a utility, they are fast and will get you through the things you want it too. Yamaha has the bruin out now that is a nice small 4x4 to get around wherever you want too, you have many to chose from, i hope u make the right pick, and have fun riding.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Muttrk

Unless I'm missing something, I would say your not looking for a utility type quad. If that is the case, I would look into something like the Honda 300ex. It's a great first quad with upgrade options and also isn't really expensive. I had one for a while and would do everything from trails to MX tracks with it. It was a good "jack of all trades" fun quad. It also has the advantage of a 4 stroke quad with less motor maintenence. It is also electric start and has reverse.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 AM
laserman

fordman I am from Mt. Pleasant, PA about 20 minutes from you.
I wouldnt buy a blaster they are to small for someone your size. They are very compact and the wheel base is very short. I agree that a 300EX is a good first time quad for someone like yourself. Lots of aftermarket bolt ons for this unit.
As for storage I store mine outside with a tarp on it.
Great to see somone close to home on the site.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 05:26 PM
BigBear

the blaster is a two stroke with a little more speed than the rally, for something putting around on , slower speeds the rally maybe be better because it is an automatic. the blaster is a little more racey and has a manual tranny. i would choose the blaster because im a yamaha guy. there are lots of choices out there for you to explore im sure you'll find the right one for you
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 12:44 AM

I agree with muttrk. What he is looking for is not a utility quad. For the size you say you are, definatly don't buy a blaster. I'm a couple inches shorter than you and about 50lbs lighter and I definatly felt it was too small for me. Although I agree that the 300ex is a good starter quad,for an adult a 300ex will get boring really fast. As soon as you get riding more you will want more than the 300ex can give you. I would say go with either the Honda 400ex or the Suzuki Z400. I have much experience with the 300ex, 400ex, and Z400 and that would be my choice. Both will be fine for a beginner, have way more things out there to modify them, and I think in all will last you much longer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Raptor 350 lover

i would say if i was you and im pretty close to your hight and weight, i am getting a raptor 350. they are the perfect size for me and probably you to. as for power and speed the raptor is ment to race so theres no problems there. altough i would reccomend putting a little bigger tires on the read since it has about 5 inches tops ground clearence when nothing is on it. Also there are plenty of mods from yamaha, and also since its a fairly new quad to the market there are alot of aftermarket parts from other brands. so i would deffonatly go raptor 350! ~300ex gets boaring really fast i know that for a fact~
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

get a warrior or a 350 raptor there custumizeable an fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode