Big Bear Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 PM
CodyLee19

Big Bear Problem

Ok guys, I recently bought a 93 Big Bear. It is 4x4 350 with a 400 big bore kit installed less than a year ago, ridden 5 times in last year, K&N, and Big gun exhaust. It also has front brushguard, and new 26 or 27 inch Outlaws on it, I can't remember. I am clueless when it comes to 4 wheelers so please help me out.

#1 I test rode this thing for 30 minutes before I bought it, great power, everything was great. I drove it the following weekend for maybe 2 hours total. Not abusing it at all maybe 3/4 throttle 2 times whole timeNothing wrong. The following weekend I check the oil, pull out the choke and crank it up. Smoke billows out the exhaust I think well the choke is making the air/fuel ratio making it run rich. Push choke back in, smoke doesn't go away. I think maybe it is oil on top of cylinders burning off, it will go away. Well wouldn't ya know it doesn't go away at all. I am talking about it is fogging this place out and embarrasing to ride. I was pissed so I rode it again that day checking deer plots not riding it hard at all for 2 hours or so. I check oil when I get off and same level as it was that morning. Smoke color is a bluish white seems like. I don't see how it can be oil burning if the oil level never changed, even after riding it that long.

#2 When I get on the gas , a small amount it almost feels like it slipps a little bit but when given a blip of the throttle, you can feel it catch. Not sure if that makes sense, but please let me know.

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 07:03 PM

Re: Big Bear Problem

First problem is to check your fuel petcock when your done riding. I have seen a number of machines that after transport or after a full night of sitting with fuel left on lets the fuel piddle through and essentially fill the crankcase full of fuel. It doesn't do anything to the machine you just have to ride it until the smoke goes away.

It would be smart to check that and if you continually do it, you need to change the oil.

Second problem, it could be your clutches. With fuel in your oil it would cause diferent shear properties in the oil and maybe be causing it to slip.

Also, if you run Automotive oil in a manual transmission it can prematurely wear and/or cause slippage in clutch plates.

Jesse
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
CodyLee19

Alright, I am not trying to sound ignorant here, but can you explain to me what the fuel petcock is, and what I need to do to get to it, what it should look like if it is working properly, or not. Thanks

What type of oil should I run in the transmission. I bought some Royal Purple oil for it the other day, it had something to do with motorcycles. I use regular Royal Purple oil in my truck, I assumed that it was good for ATV's. What would you recomend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 PM

A fuel petcock is the ON/OFF/RESERVE valve probably located on the left side and just on the bottom of the fuel tank. Talk to any local dealer and they should be able to get a rebuild kit for it. If your not sure when the last time it was done, just do it anyway.

And as far as Royal Purple, I think it is a great oil, however, you are going to run into further issues by running a synthetic oil in your crank case. Now, that is not to say that the benefits are not high with a synthetic, but because of its "slipperyness" it may not allow your clutches to work affectively.

Just stick to a good 10-40 Honda or Yama-Lube for your oil preference. Yes, you can get a premium auto oil for the same price as a regular quart of Motorcycle grade oil however there are specific properties that are different. In a car all you have to do is worry about motor wear, in a 4-wheeler you're worried about, motor, tranny, and clutch plates. Each having different shear properties.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode