Chain Maintenence - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Muttrk

Chain Maintenence

I've been out of riding in the dirt for a while. How are you guys taking care of your chains as far as cleaning and lubing? What are some of the best products for it. I'll admit it, I'm a bit anal about taking care of chains on my stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Muttrk

Re: Chain Maintenence

Anyone? I know it's a simple question
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Larryt164

OK all i use to clean the chain is a copper brush.As for lub i only use WD-40 on my O-ring chain. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM

It kind of depends on where you live. We live in oregon, so we are likely to get rust on our chains. We lube or wax it after every race, or every couple weeks. You don't need to do it quitye as often if you don't have to worry about rust.
Most any brand is ok, just read the directions. Some work better if you ride your bike for a little while first to get it warm.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Muttrk

I live in Florida so yes, I do worry about rust. I have been riding a CBR954 on the street and an F3 before that so, I haven't been in the dirt for about 6 years. That is why I asked about what you are cleaning and lubing the chain for. We have everything from sand to clay to mud around here to ride in.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
yamaha00

dont use WD-40 EVER!! when u wash your quad justspray the chain clean. I use Bel-Rays super clean chain lube and it works great.

ride hard
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Chain maintenace is something that you work with until something imparticularly gives you the results you're after. First question, is your chain an O-Ring chain or not. If whatever you're riding is relatively new it probably is. This requires a little more careful choice as to what lubes you use, and any reputable bike shop will be able to show which lubes are safe for O-Ring chains or not. Secondly, an O-Ring chain essentially is made to withstand more lack of maintenance and yet last londer as well.

There are a number of different lubes that have waxes in them. Honda makes a really good one that is safe for O-Ring chains. This allows the Lube to remain on the chain instead of being slung all over the place.

As far as WD-40, I used to use that on Worms for catfish.

Jesse
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
ace450

there is a product out there called ZEP i used it on my chain and it stays on there. it never slings off and always stays black and lubed. i will check on the exact name of it, i know its called ZEP but there may be a numder after the name.. ill give you a part number to the product too in the next few days. i would never use wd 40 on chain either.i would spray the chain at car wash to get it clean then put ZEP on it when it dries out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Larryt164

I just dont get it.All you guys are down about useing wd-40 on a chain.But you will go to a car wash and wash your chain with a high power water gun.That is not good on a chain at all.On a O-ring chain you can damage the O-rings that are there to seal in the lud and keep water out.But then again you guys may be running a cheap non O-ring chain that you have to go and buy the high money lud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode