'05 vinson auto - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:42 PM
dryvinson

\'05 vinson auto

I recently went through water that was almost up to my seat(for about a 7' stretch) , after exiting the water my tranny started to slip. I assumed that the clutch had become saturated, so I let it set for about 10 minutes, then it was o.k.. The machine has only 440 miles on it.

I brought it to my dealer for a service and to check the tranny and I got a $217.00 bill. They said the mechanic had to clean the clutches (due to dirt), hence the extra labor charge. I was furious, am I going to have to worry about going through water because I have an automatic clutch? Every other machine I have owned has had a standard clutch and I have had no problems.

I am looking for some input from other vinson owners before I put another mile on this machine. After some arguing, they knocked it down to $120.00, but other people I know don't report these problems, HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:54 PM

Re: \'05 vinson auto

sell it and buy a grizzly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 PM

Re: \'05 vinson auto

I have a 04' Vinson that I have taken across a lot water sections and have never had a problem. There isn't any difference for intake tract from 04 to 05 that I am aware of.

However, The chances of you getting water into your tranny are possible. As with any belt style tranny, air needs to flow over and around the clutch to cool it. Engines also require air to run, and there are tracts that air flows through for both.

Each manufacturer faces an issue of balancing air intake and not having air being replaced with water. Dependant on where the opening is located, the rider needs to pay special attention as to how deep the crossing is. If deeper water is where you find home, than you need to modify your intakes (tranny and motor) with a snorkel set up.

There is a drain located on the bottom side of the clutch cover that is for this very situation. If the water was never drained out and the clutches started to rust, cleanup would be needed. An average mechanic, dependant on how bad it is, should be able to dry out even the wettest of clutches in just a few hours. As far as a motor, prepare for a larger bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode