Looking for some tech assistance on a honda 70 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for some tech assistance on a honda 70

Hello

I have a little 1979 honda 70 three wheeler I am trying to bring back to working condition for my nephews.

It was purchased when my brothers and myself we were young, obviously it is little, I believe it has sit in the barn for the past 15 years, why we stopped riding it and left it I cannot recall, probably out grew it.

Maybe if I post what I have done, it will help the process of getting this thing going again. I cannot get it to start. warning this is a long post.

Checked for compression, did not have a gauge small enough, however removed spark plug and placed my finger over the hole, it did force air past my finger.

Removed carb and disassembled, suprisingly enough there was little rust on the bottom of the bowl, other than that there was no varnish and it appeared clean, I went ahead and blew cleaner through all the passages, they appeared fine.

I put gas in the tank and loosened the drain valve at the bottom of the carb and gas came out. As I pulled the string and worked the throttle there was an increase in the smell of gas, so I take that as the carb is working to some degree.

I felt the exhaust pipe as I had someone crank the string, there is air coming out.

I placed an ohm meter on the lead wire from the mangeto and the end of the plug wire boot, it shows 12000 ohms of resistance. If I unscrew the spark plug boot and put it directly on the spark plug wire I get 8000 ohms of resistance. I am not sure how much a motorcycle coil should be resistance wise, this seems pretty inline with an automobile though.

I took the spark plug out then reconnected it to the spark plug wire, then cleaned a spot on one of the cylinder case(?) fins held the plug to the cleaned spot as someone cranked the engine, no spark and this is a new spark plug. With the old spark plug and the same procedure I did get smoke but no spark. I did get a shock at one point through my arm but still no spark.

I am not sure how to check the output of the magneto, I did take the outer cover off and clean the two contact points on the magneto cylinder through the two windows if you will, I was unable to get it off as I don't have a puller, actually I have one just do not have the correct screws to get it started. I did stick the multi meter on DVC or something to that effect positive wire to the lead wire form magneto and ground to ground, the mulimeter needle did fluctuate as the string was pulled. If I put it on resistance and pulled the string it did the same thing, I would suspect this means it is creating a current.

Oh well this is where I am at, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great, specific tests would be appreciated. Thank you for your time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:48 PM

Re: Looking for some tech assistance on a honda 70

I am not familiar with the 70's and cant be much assistance but I can tell you buying or look for the new wire harness and further wiring would be your best bet

How was it stored since last run
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 06:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is only one wire from the magneto to off/on/off switch to coil. It shows zero ohms resistance and I have made sure all contact points were clean. I was unable to get the neautral switch wire(?) off, so there could be a problem there, will have to keep working on that little screw thats fighting me.

It was stored in an old barn, it pretty much stayed away from the weather. It has some rust on it but not much.

Upon someones suggestion I grounded the stator wire and sure enough it sparked with minimal effort, so I may have a faulty coil. Sound about right?

Thanks for the response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 PM

I would say its a bad wire. Otherwise it could be the neutral wire, some bikes will not start if it is not in neutral
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I tried to narrow down the problem over and over. I rewired it and did manage to get spark to the spark plug, tried to start it but it wasn't gonna happen. I took the plug back out, grounded it, no spark and nothing had been touched ??. Then I decided to reach through the flywheel with a piece of sandpaper and clean the points, nice spark at the stator wire when grounded, no spark at the spark plug, needless to say I was at a lose. Then I took a long break, went back out, recleaned all the connections and wired it straight to the coil, nothing, then I messed around with the connections a little more and to be honest I don't know what I did but there was a healthy spark at the plug, so I try to start it, nothing, so I give it a good pull, and it sounded like it turned over a couple more seconds than it normally would, so I take the spark plug out and sure enough I am still getting spark, so I go and get a spray bottle fill it with a little gas and mist the fuel into the intake, shut the choke, pull the string, nothing, so I pull it a couple more times with about as much umph as I have, it sounds like its turning over more than it did before, wait a minute, its running. That little thing is so quiet. I finally worked the throttle and the choke to get it to idle on its own, I was very happy....15 years and its still going. I need to rebuild the carb, as it is leaking pretty good...that shouldn't be a big deal, I disassembled it the other day to clean it and well, there isn't a lot to it. Now I have to put some tires on it and see if it'll move under its own power. Thanks for the responses
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 06:27 PM

Alright, good to hear!

weird things can happen to a machine 15 years or more old [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had a little suzuki 50 for my little cousin and I found myself riding it more than him [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] sure was very quite

good luck with the 70
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks

I have one more quick question before I break down and get the manual.

What kinda oil do these things use and how much?

Seems I read 30w but did not know if it was a specific 30w as I believe the engine and tranny use the same oil, so wasn't sure if the type of oil for it would have an additive in it for the frictons disks. Will any off the shelf 30w do it?

I managed to get the back wheels pumped up slightly with fix a flat, the front wasn't so fortunate, but regardless I rode the little thing around the yard a couple times, smiling like a big idiot. Ordered some tires at a local tire shop for $20 a piece seems thats not a bad deal. Any input appreciated
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 11:29 PM

any 30w should be what you need if that has what you read, make sure any filtes are cleaned or replaced too.

I just recently switched to mobil 1 oil, it is some of the best stuff you can get, but any solid motorcycle oil should have the proper additives....try spectro 4 or Amsoil to

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode