Axle bearing replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:46 PM
JFoster

Axle bearing replacement

Hey, I am the new guy. I am hoping you guys can point me in the direction of a How To on replacing axle bearings. I probly need to do mine just to be safe, but my riding buddy has a scrambler 400 4x4 and he has had a bent and wobly rear wheel for a long time. We always encounter mud and water when we ride. Until recently he couldn't feel the wobling wheel when riding, I would just see it when ever I was behind him. But he said he took it for a spin the other day and it was kind of bouncing in the back. Sound like axle bearings to you? He said he was going to take it to the shop for new bearing and then put on new rear wheels and tires. I said "hey, we can probly replace those bearings our selves". I remember one of my dirt wheels mags having the how to in it but I scimmed them all and no luck. Is this a pretty straight forward job for a fairly mechanical person with plenty of tools? Help me save my friend some $$$. Thanks, JFoster

Edit: I did some searching, but was unable to find a how to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Raptor 350 lover

Re: Axle bearing replacement

oh its soo easy im 14 and did it by myself with ginence from my father

1) pull off wheels hubs(cotterpined with a bolt) sproket sprocket mount(thredded not welded) brakes

2) there should be two 2inche bolts holding the axle in still, take them off then pull out the axle makeing sure not to drop it (axles are like 300-450$$)

3)take out old bearings (in my case one was decinergrated so i had to remove races not bearings) then clean the insind of the race with a WIRE brush. clean the spacer as well.

4) Now grease the crap out of those new bearings and inside of race (about 1/4 of an inch of WATERPROOF grease on the inside all the way around.)

5) now put the bearinds all the way in (restence is normal) if you really have problems have your buddy hold a 2 by 4 over the bearind and hit the WOOD with a small 2-4lb. sledge.

6) now the bearing seals, Grease the inner ring like crap. again load it on because there is a spring inside that needs to stay inside so the grease keeps it in.

7) now put the spacer in and do the other side the same way as the first.

8) Now put the axle in the one side and slide it through (again restence is inevitable so get the wood but when it doesnt want to go in further then STOP!)

9) now re-bult everything on from one side to the other. exactly how it was in the beginning.

10) now put some grease around the out side tighten it up and go ride but make sure it is tight

~tools~
1. Socket set metric a standard set of crafsmen work fine
2. small socket extencion
3.BIG adjustable wrench
4.dremal (if you need to get a decinagrated bearing out)
5. wirebrush

~items~
New bearings
WATERPROOF grease Medium sized tub
Brering seals [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/sleep2.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode