$160 short - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$160 short

I have short in my wiring and the locol yamaha dealer tells me they can't resplice a wire into a male plug. Instead i have to get a whole new wiring harness. Does anybody know of any place on the internet that sells cheap wiring harnesses.

Or could i get a used harness or part from another year of warrior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:41 AM

Re: $160 short

go to bluetraxx.com and register there, its like this site, but all yamaha people, warrior is the best selling quad so I am sure you find many people with all sorts of warrior parts, def go in that direction

or check ebay every once in a while, i am sure you can find the harness there to
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:40 PM

i dont really understand what you are saying is the problem, but i dont see why you cant just find the short and fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know how to fix a short, the short is in a plug that goes into the cdi unit, and i don't know how to fix it myself or I would. The problem is they don't sell just the plug i have to get a whole new wiring harness.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 12:52 PM

If the short is definetly just in the plug, there probably isn't more than 4 or 5 wires going into each side of the plug. I would just cut the wires from both sides of the plug and use automotive bullet style plug connectors on each one, and just hook them up individually, just make sure you match the color coded wires as you do it, then wrap all the plugs together with electrical tape as a group to keep them from getting wet or pulling apart.I would also make sure you put the female half of the plugs on the stator side of the connections (the end that comes out of the engine case)so that if a wire somehow comes loose, the charged end of the wire doesn't short out against the frame and cook the stator. If you know exactly which wire is the problem at the plug, you could also just cut the single wire and use the bullet connector on that one only, leave the rest in the factory plug until they cause a problem.If the plug goes dirrectly into the CDI unit, you would have to find a used plug (possibly from a atv/mc salvage yard) and you could then cut and splice the wires. The plug might have been used on wiring harnesses for other atv's and motorcycles also, so a trip to a salvage yard might be worth the time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm bidding on a wiring harness for $20.00 on ebay but if that's a dud i'll try what you said. THANK YOU A TON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode