Buying questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buying questions

Hi all, My name is James and I have just recently located this site while doing a little buying research. I am looking to buy 3 Quads for the family. A 330 trailboss for my wife (she wants the simplicity of fully automatic), a Preditor 90 for my son and a Preditor 500 for myself. I have pretty much made up my mind on my wife's and my son's bikes, but I am still a little bit undecided on mine. I am 33 and have never owned a quad before. I am looking for something with lot's of power, but 4-stroke (due to living in California) I will probably never race it competitively, but I will race around with friends. I will be riding mostly tracks, sand and some river bottom trails. I don't have to have the baddest, litest or most powerful bike on the market, but I want plenty of power to run and Jump with the guys. Does the preditor 500 sound like the right bike for me? I am also into bodybuilding so this thing has to land jumps with 235 pounds on top of it. How does the preditor hold up under those conditions? I have also read posts where some of you state that the preditor weighs 500 lbs. The brochure lists it at a 415 lb. dry weight. It also didn't feel like it would weigh that much after lifting the back end or the front end. But then again it didn't seem to be as much as 415 lbs either. Thanks for taking the time to read this book, any help or opinions will be much appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:15 PM

Re: Buying questions

Since you're apparently a bigger guy, and the fact that you're probably not going to be MX racing competetively, I would look at the DS650 Baja (the one with the X package is really nice) if you want a manual transmission, or the KFX700 if you would prefer an auto trans. Either of those would be a lot more comfortable for you, and they both handle high speed sand and desert wash riding much better than the Predator and have more torque to pull a heavier rider.They are both heavier than the Predator (both 500+ lbs) but out on trail rides or in the desert it doesn't matter, they both have plenty of power to pull it well. The only place the Predator would really have an advantage would be on the MX track or in tight eastern US type woods riding, which neither of those seem to be a factor for you. I used to live in So Cal, so know what type of riding areas you're likely to be dealing with. I have ridden out at El Mirage, Hungry Valley, Glamis, Pismo, and even the old riding area they used to have near Magic Mountain called Indian Dunes before they closed it. In any of the popular riding areas down there, the DS or KFX would be a great choice for a bigger rider, with a lot more room, and more stable at speed over the rough stuff. Good Luck, and let us know what you end up buying and how you like it. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode