What to buy ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 02:48 AM
TheRookie

What to buy ?

Hi my name is Steve and I'm a bit new on selecting what to buy i have been ridding my friends dad's KFX 700 VForce for a while because he hurt is back at work and cant ride. Well i have about 7,500 saved up and i wanted to buy a new ATV but not sure what to buy. i have my eyes peeled on a 660 Raptor but i have also heard that KFX 700 VForce is better but from what i read it sounded like the Raptor was better. Anyone know for sure witch one is better ? ...come on im lost !

Or what's the best quad to do some serious off-road racing with ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
redneckstv85

Re: What to buy ?

Well one thing you have to consider is that the kfx 700 is auto and the raptor is not, i have rode a raptor but i did not like it cause to me it was real tippy compared to my kfx400. i have not yet got a chance to ride a kfx 700 but what people say it is a kick ass bike. the raptor didnt impresse me at all for a 660 but thats me. if i were you i would look a ds650 also. or you could also get a banshee or 250r or sumthing a little bit smaller,and put a [bleep] load of mods on it. in last months article ct turned a kfx 400 into a 440 and a whole lot of mods it looked like a very nice bike. let us know what you choose. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:39 AM

If I was looking for a new quad to do some serious off road racing, I'd look no further than the new YFZ450. It has fully adjustable shocks on the front and rear with 10-11 inches of travel on both ends, decent power, and the lightest weight of any current production sportquad out right now. The YFZ only weighs 350 lbs stock and with the optional kickstarter it drops to 320 lbs, for comparison the Raptor weighs 398, and the Predator weighs 500lbs, and they all have about the same hp. It should be very competitive on any race track with just a pipe/air filter and jetting (possibly some wider A-arms and a wider axle for Pro MX but you'd need that with anything else too). Most other quads you'd at least need to buy aftermarket shocks @ $1,200+ and you'd never be able to make the others as light as the YFZ. The Raptor does have about a 2 mph advantage at top speed, but as most racers can tell you unless you're racing wide open desert you'd never get topped out while racing, what really matters in racing is acceleration off the starting line (where many races are won or lost in the sprint to the first turn) and between the corners, and the YFZ out accelerates the Raptor where it counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 01:04 PM
TheRookie

Alright, thanks guys. I'll do a little more research after work today to see what fits my needs the best !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 01:52 PM

One more thing, if you were planning on racing out in the wide open desert the Bombardier DS650 Baja with the X package might be a good choice, but only for wide open desert or sand dunes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 04:09 PM
ice

I think you should go for tha YFZ450.
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 01:42 AM
TheRookie

yea I did some more research, looks like the YFZ450 with a few modifications is the one for me. Thank you for all the help all !

time to ... [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] and [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:29 AM

The Honda 450 will be here in September.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The Honda 450 will be here in September.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's your top secret inside source of that information? lol Everybody's hoping Honda will come out with a TRX450R soon, but the dealers all say Honda is sitting and waiting to see if Yamaha gets sued over injuries with the YFZ first, and I haven't seen anything on Honda's website mentioning it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 03:13 PM
TheRookie

Whats so dangerouse about the YFZ that would make Honda think about that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode