85 250R/ 350X Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Addict

85 250R/ 350X Question

I have a couple questions about a quad I will be looking at in a few days.
The quad is a 1985 250R that had the motor replaced with a 350X motor.
The 350 motor needs cylinder and head work but the quad has Extended A-Arms, Dura Blue Axles,
Aluminum rims and a new chain.
The quad should be in decent shape for the age.

Is this a decent setup?
Is there anything I should be concerned about on this quad?
What is the going price for a decent running quad that is this age and of decent shape?
I'm looking to get something for a camp rig, Possible play rig, Something to pull wood and broken down dirtbikes back to camp
and also something to get the girlfriend out on.
The price for this one seems decent with me doing some engine work to it.
Any help would be grateful.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM

Re: 85 250R/ 350X Question

first question I would have is what year is the 250r really, since to the best of my knowledge Honda didn't make 250r Quads until 86, but if it's advertised as having extended arms (not just an extended swingarm) then it should be a quad, year might have just been a typo. I would remove the seat and check the frame underneath the seat, and on the sides where the swingarm pivot bolt goes thru the frame on both sides for cracks right next to the footpegs, as this was a problem area on 250r's with the lighter 2 stroke engine in them the heavy 350x engine may cause more cracks, not too hard to weld up and brace with an arc welder, but a great bargaining tool lol. the 350x engine from the 3 wheeler was pretty powerful for an old 4 stroke, and lots of those are still being ridden in the dunes. they can be built with aftermarket cams exhaust etc, and run pretty nice, and ask if the seller has any of the original parts hidden in the back of the garage or anything, like possibly the original engine or at least parts of it, extra plastic, tires etc, try making the best deal for yourself you can. Any quad built on a 250r frame that is in running condition, should be worthwhile as long as it's not too overly priced, I'd say if the 350x engine runs good, I'd probably pay around $2000-$2500 tops for it,but I would naturally try talking the person down as low as possible for it,you might try finding a 250r with the 250 engine still in it if you can, unless the one your looking at is really clean and cheap. Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the response,
My first thought was that 85 was a little early but it is a quad so I will check the tag.
The history is the 350 motor froze up at Pismo. He started pulling it apart and found the crank snapped.
He found another motor on E-Bay that was told to be good running.
He looked at it and found the head to be bad. I'm not sure what. I will determine when I look at it.
The quad has a bent left spindle. I would either rebend or replace. It is in decent shape other than that.
The guy wants 400.00 for it so he could invest the money into his rig.
I will probably look at it next weekend.
Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 250R frame & rolling chassis is worth that. The 350X engine is a kick start only model, & often a bear to start.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 06:01 PM

If the frame is really from a 250r, buy it for the $400, then if the 350 is going to need a lot of work, check with East Coast Atv http://www.eastcoastatv.com/used250R/htm good used spindle only $55 and under their used engines link on their homepage, they have 250R engines complete for $1000-$1500, just get the quad, then replace the spindle and put the original engine back in it and for $2000- $2500 you got one of the best Quads that ever rolled out of the factories. Oh try getting the old electronics with the quad when you buy it, along with the radiator and whatever exhaust he has for the old 2 stroke too if at all possible.

P.S. If you go see it and decide not to buy it, post the contact info on here so I can get my brother to go pick it up for me (He lives near Magic Mountain) , I need a project to put together for either the wife or my son.lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the help,
I thought about turning it back to a 2-stroke quad. Not sure if the guy did the work or bought it that way.
That decision will be made once I get the rig and look into it
Thanks on the spindle info. I checked Ebay but found just about anything else for the quad.
I already planned to try to get everything that I could from him. Possibly even gear.
Ken
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Old Hand

And in deffence of that 350x motor. I have had one for years (3 wheeler). That motor just runs awesome, power everywhere, and if you change the oil often (she runs hot) it will last forever. I've never found the starting to be a problem, maybe if your a wee light, skinny little guy it might be, but if you have some muscle and weight to ya then starting is easy.

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Addict

That makes me feel better about the 350 motor. Most all my dirtbikes have been 4 strokes so I should be able to start it once I get it back together.
Does the motor have any compression release?
I like to be able to clear the cylinder when needed.
ken
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Old Hand

It has an automatic decompresion cable. Engages by itself, no lever to flipp. It is a little harder to kick without it, but people who have problems with hot starting remove it. I don't have any troubles with hot,or cold starting for that matter, I just leave the cable in place. For starting kick slowly and bring the piston up to tdc, Turn on the choke and give it a long full hard kick. Mine starts up no prob, you just have to learn how to start an old school thumper. Not short quick kicks like a two stroke, and leave the throttle be. You probrably know this all to well since you said all your old bikes where thumpers.

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode