never thought I would actually ask this - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

never thought I would actually ask this

well what does everyone think is a good quad for me now...if your wondering why i am intrested in something new, look at the "uh-oh" post...
I am 5 8' and can handle jsut about anything, i have been riding for a while, and about 150 or more pounds...
not like that matters cause all i am asking, is what do you think i should do? i want something big, something with a lot of power, and something that will beat all my freinds warriors [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
nah, i was thinking a cheap 400ex, and putting a bunch of stuff on it (used) but the whole no reverse thing sucks...or i was thinking a raptor, but seems "tipsy" i have read and heard, or the z400, but havent heard too much about it, and the whole suzuki or kawi thing kinda sucks in my opinion... or the banshee, but i am not looking for a 2 stroke....so i guess what i am trying to say is that there is nothing out, nothing intrests me, should i wait till fall for the new honda? or should i get something now for the summer?

-cannondale (went outta business, so kinda "iffy")
-400ex (air cooled, underpowered (now) no reverse [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])
-z400 or kfx (not to "fond" of suzuki and heard things)
-raptor or banshee (raptor = bad handling, or banshee is jsut a 2 sstroke i dont want)
-last but not least a 250r...i must admit it is my favorite quad, and always want one, but kinda old!)

now dont think since i ride a 300ex, that i cant handling things, trust me for someone who is almost 16, there is no quad out i couldnt handle...
also, quad industry is sucking big time, so how about...dirtbikes?
i will leave the dirtbike thing to jsoh or anyone else with knowledge

300ex = waist of time
that is the only thing i can say about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 10:20 PM

Re: never thought I would actually ask this

Ian,
Instead of getting upset with your 300ex because of the problem you're having trying to get it apart, and getting rid of it right away, why not either find somebody you know from the track to help you get it taken apart and put back together the way you want it, or see if the local Honda dealer could do it for a reasonable fee. Maybe a local car mechanic friend (if you know one)could help you too for free, he might actually emjoy tinkering with a quad project just to see something other than a car (you might also check and (if your high school has an auto mechanics class, you might want to ask the instructor in there if they would like to tackle the project too, that would only cost you parts, and they should have most the tools already to get it done). As for the rear shock problem, I know you've been looking for a long time and it gets kinda frustrating (trust me I was there looking for a new engine for 2 years for my R when the trans andd cases went lol),Maybe you can find one from an old R that's in good shape that would slip right in too, the R shocks were pretty good pieces too, most likely almost as good as stock raptor shocks, and at a minimum a lot better than the stock 300ex shock and easier to find than something that's only been around for 3 years. but in the end if you get it together like you had planned, you will have a trick 300ex, sure it might not be really fast, but it should handle great, and would be worth a lot more when you do decide to sell it.,and by then when you do sell it, you might be able to have enough money saved to go with it to buy your dream quad, especially if Honda does finally come out with something new in the next few years. and don't count on anything from Honda until they announce it themselves, since everybody has been speculating on the new R since they quit making R's in '89 lol. I'll believe Honda is making them when I can go down to the showroom and sit on one for myself, not before then.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Veteran

My opinion is fix the one you have and sell it if you dont like it. The 300EX is a good machine. A bit under powered but a good bike. Get yourself a 250R. It doesnt have reverse but you dont need reverse. There are lots of 250R`s out there for sale. I looked around at the new bikes myself and decided to keep my 88 250r. I just rebuilt it and I didnt really see anything out there that really would have been a better bike for me. Like the post above, I,ll wait and see the new Honda when I can see one....Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Old Hand

Keep the 300, don't give up on it. Finish your current modifications, put it back together,ride it and have fun. Pay off the 300,maybe build the motor up someday if you can swing it. Buy a wr250f if you want a dirt bike. Fast, reliable, good all around 4 stroke db. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Warrior00

ever thought of the warrior.. good power.. better then a 300ex in my opinion... lots of mods to make it keep with a 400ex and beat it.. get the alba 400cc kit or fst 500 kit if u want.. and that rappy shock will fit in the rear of it so there ya go.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

not wanting to flame, but i would never get a warrior, there is a million reasons, and my quad as of right now takes stock warriors, although i have been thinking guys, back to what 96warrior said, i have a dream [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
and my dream is that i could have one sick quad, that would still be different than all the raptors, 250rs, and 400ex and banshees you see modded today, but getting a machine that compare, and i think the 300ex is a start, i had many mods i was planning in the near future, it was a very big rebuild i was going to do, and i think it would be cool to have a 300, that looks amazing and runs amazing andhave it different than every mnachine out...anyone get me? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

i am still undecided though, i am fed up with the thing because making it better in most views is not worth it, and is jsut easier to get a bigger quad, but to see a 300 that looks incedible, people will mkae more notice of it then a modded 400
i was going to trade my red stock plastic wtih 200$ fro this plastic jsut for the nice look, the raptor shock was next, then all the other things on my list, but it really isnt worth the time and money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1057543-red fullbore 300ex.jpg (96.1 KB, 16 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Z400 is a very good quad. If you want more performance, look at the Gas Gas 450cc 4-stroke quad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode