Newbie Which one should i get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Shrad

Newbie Which one should i get?

Ok I've been in the sport bike scene for 4 yrs but Jersey has the most expensive insurance I am forced to give that up. So now I want a quad, but my problem is what quad to get. I'm 5'8 170Lbs and learn things quick. I will be using this for the trails, jumping, woods and having fun. I am already pre-approved by Yamaha credit card for $10,000. I would REALLY like to stay in the Yamaha family cause Iím already approved. I'm looking at the blaster, raptor and the predator (Polaris). I will be holding on to whatever bike I buy for a while. I know the blaster is a good starter bike, but I really don't want to do the maintenance of a 2 stroke. I also don't want to be disappointed after a while of owning it so that is why I think I would want the raptor. I know the raptor is a lot of power and Iím a newbie, but I love the way it looks and the fact that itís a 4 stroke that would require less maintenance then the blaster. The only thing that bothers me is that I have been reading how it's tipsy, and doesn't handle very good and a bit pricey. If I bought some wider and taller tires would that solve that problem? Now I went and looked at the predator and it looks awesome, but I think this is the first year out so it must have some bugs and crap like that. Plus I read how the A-arms are breaking and that Polaris isn't very reliable after a year of abuse. Whichever bike I get I wonít be doing any mods for a while if ever (just tires). To sum it all up which one would recommend me getting????

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:42 AM
Old Hand

Re: Newbie Which one should i get?

Don't forget about the banshee [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] I love mine. Raptor didn't seem to tippy to me,but I didn't get to do any "serious" extended rides on it. I'd get a z400 if you where going to buy a new bike. 400ex if your getting a used one. The two 400's seem to be the best bike's for people just looking to have fun. Both are reliable, have good handling, suspension and power.

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:55 AM

what kind of sport bike have you been riding for the last 4 years? if it was a newer 600 or bigger, I would go ahead and get the Raptor, since you're already used to clutches and a lot of power,and just take time getting used to it before getting too crazy. I haven't riden a Raptor myself, but rode with a friend all over the dunes last weekend, and his Raptor seemed to be fine in the turns,and all it should take is a little riding time to get used to shifting your weight to the inside when you make a turn.With the sportbike experience, you may be dissapointed in the 400's after a short time, but they are excellent quads for beginners that already know the basics like you do,and have plenty of power to go anywhere you would care to take a quad, just not as quickly as some of the bigger ones would. good luck with whatever you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:06 AM
tony1034

I have a 2002 400ex and own a 94' CBR900RR. My CBR is heavily modded, smacks the rev limiter in 6th gear with ease, pulls the front end off the ground in 4th gear with NO clutch. I've drag raced it down in Englishtown dozens of times ....I'm in NJ too. I've never owned an ATV before this 400ex. I just added nerf bars and a front bumper. I ride alot in the pits and top gear is useless to me. I went down one tooth on the front sprocket and the bike rips! I wanted the Z400, but it was first year. I'm glad I got the 400ex b/c the 1st year Z400's had issues with the rear axles. But if i were buying this year I'd definitely get a Z400. It has reverse which I think could be convenient even though my 400ex w/o it never bothered me. But it is water-cooled and can make serious Hp. Just adding a pipe, jetkit and air filter (see Dirt Wheels pipe shootout), it can make 36 Hp easily. Stock is 32Hp. The 400ex only makes like 26 Hp and with pipe, jetkit and air cleaner, at tops makes only an extra 2 Hp. But from a Newbie's perspective (That liked to fly on the CBR) the 400ex is fine for me. Scares me a heck of a lot more than the CBR ever did (except for that one time I almost went head-on with a car doing @50 mph and I wa doing 140 mph. ....Yikes!!!).

Now from experience, my neighbor has 400ex, 300ex, 250ex and had a Raptor and Grizzly. He sold both Yamahas. Even though they made awesome power, he just wasn't comfortable on the Raptor. He enjoyed riding the 400ex better than any of them. The word he used "the Honda is ultra-refined". It was smooth and very easy to ride. He does want more power. He is looking at the Predator, but is getting turned off. Now, he is holding onto the 400ex this summer and then selling it. Next year he wants a new Honda (if they make one).

If you want a new one now, get the Z/KFX 400. Otherwise, wait till Honda comes out w/ a new 2004 model. You may just be kickin yourself in the ass if you don't and they release a killer bike. If I were you, get a used 400ex, learn to ride, leave it alone and then sell it for about what you paid for it. Then get a new bike next year. By that time you'll know more about the Predator and possible new Honda and you'll also know if you really like ATVs to begin with. If you buy new, and sell it, you'll surely lose money. Buying used is the way to go.

Good luck,
Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 11:33 AM

yup the 2004 z400 of kfx400 are some good choices, unless you want something used get a modded 400ex for pretty cheap, i know a guy who is selling his 400ex for 3300$ casue he needs the money quick. I dont what the guy above said the 400's dont have a lot of power, but i would definetly go with one, raptor is nice but it seems almost everyone is selling theres? go for a 400 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Shrad

Ok so I was up in PA today and got a chance to take a raptor for a test drive. I don't think the raptor is for me the salesman saw me and when I came back he said maybe you should try a blaster you looked a little hesitant. I wasn't gonna try and go crazy cause I never rode one before, but I can tell it has to much power for it to be my first quad. I started to think yea maybe I'll get a blaster but I really don't want a 2 stroke. Then I saw the Suzuki z400 looks awesome and the guy said is a great bike. If he was in my shoes and was going to purchase a new bike he would go with that. How reliable are Suzuki z400? I can't get a used one cause I don't have money laying around the only reason I was get a quad is cause the Yamaha payments were so low. I'm going to go and see what kind of finance program Suzuki has hopefully the minimum payment will be like the Yamaha ($40.00) or at least close to it. Please give me your comments on the z400.
Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 11:55 PM

The engine in the Z400 has been used for many years in the DR motorcyles, and is known as a dependable engine. Since the basic engine has been used for so long in the DR's, there are almost unlimited parts available to make it faster if you feel the need anytime in the future. The only problem I have ever heard of with the Z400 quads , was first year production models reportedly had weak rear axles, but from what I've heard , the factory fixed that in all newer models . The Z400 also handles as good as almost any other quad built today and should be very dependable as long as you change the oil regularly, and keep the air filter clean. Any quad will wear out fast if you neglect routine maintenance. It's good that you had a chance to try out the raptor before buying, at least now you have a better idea of what you want. Payments would most likely be more affordable than a Raptor too, since the price is lower. Good Luck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 08:35 AM
tony1034

Shrad,
The MSRP on the Z400 and the 400ex are both $5700. I'm not sure how much Suzuki is discounting their bike as it is the hot bike right now. I also don't know if Suzuki has any special financing so you'd have to look into it. But another reason I went with the Honda last year was that they discounted the bike to $5000, they gave me $300 Honda bucks (got a helmet, gloves, goggles, extra plugs, oil , oil filter, air filter oil and some other goodies). They also had very low financing terms (interest rates). Since they're trying to blow out the 400ex's (at least it seems that way if a new bike is coming), I've seen dealers advertising new 03's for like $4700. That could be $1300 cheaper than the Z400 and probably lower interest. Its your decision, but what I can say is the 400ex has one of the BEST re-sale values out there. Notice no one on here said to buy a used Raptor. They are too pricey to begin with and people try to re-coupe their losses when they don't like it and sell it (and I'm not saying the Raptor is a crappy bike .. for all you Raptor lovers out there that may want to come at me).

But I don't think buying used is out of the question for ya, even though you may not have the cash. I get at least 12-15 credit card offers a week in the mail. They all offer low interest rates for signing up with them. They are usually 0%, 0.9% or 2.9% for like the first year and a half. You can use one of these to buy a used bike and pay it off sooner since your not borrowing like 5-7 grand on a new bike and you're paying almost no interest.

Finaly, you can alwys go online and get approved for a bike loan. The interest rate will be very low. You can get approved right online, they'll mail you a blank check and you just write it out to the seller. I bought my last car that way. Check out:
http://peoplefirst.com/pff/site_cycle_rates_terms.cfm

It's nice b/c they have a little calculator there to figure out your payment, but they have a loan min/max of 7500 to 75000. This is for cars, so you'd probably have to call them on the bike loan amounts.

Good luck!
Tony P.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 02:52 PM

The a-arms have been breaking on the raptor too. You dont want a blaster, your too big for it. Your right about the predator, wait till next year at least. I wouldn't buy a quad until you have ridden some of them. My cousin bought a warrior and now he is on a banshee. Thats a complet 180! Go see if you can ride a LTZ400 or a raptor and see what you like. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Shrad

Well I ended up buying the Yamaha Raptor and its AWESOME!!! I went out last weekend and had the best time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode