Uh-oh... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Uh-oh...

well my quad is in pieces, and this time really in pieces, and well the a-arms will not come loose from the spindle, the ball joints and jsut stick in there (there hanging) from the quad. So now a block and my tie rods are holding my wheels to gether [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], but in order to put my new shocka nd a-arms on it would be elpful to get these darn things off....jsut asking how i get the a-arms off and the tie rods off becasue they are stuck on...do i jsut take the rod off, or the whole thing, that bolts to the spindle to the steering stem...the quad was fixed a few days ago when the carb like commited suicide, now this problem, i think someone told me to hit the spinle with a hammer but dont miss [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 08:01 PM

Re: Uh-oh...

trying to picture in my mind what you're trying to seperate, and if it's where the spindle connects to the swingarms, see if you can find an automotive ball joint pickelfork spreader, fits on both sides of the balljoint then smack the back of the pickelfork with a hammer and it should pop right off, if not, put a spare nut on the threaded end of the joints where it goes thru the arms to protect the threads, and hit that a few times lightly and see if it pops loose, but make sure you thread it on enough to keep from tearing the threads up
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The carb commited suicide....LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 09:17 PM

lol no kidding, welcome to the world of modified machines [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:36 AM

If you do go the route with the picklefork, BE CAREFUL.... I have seen a couple of guys try this and slice the boots to crap. That means new boots and I know on the new Z400 you can't buy just the boot. It is an expensive lesson but one welol learned by many.

BTW, I know this from taking everything off a frame and getting it powdercoated. (Honda 400ex & Suzuki Z400)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

alright let me mkae this a little clearer,
I took the castle bolt w/cotter pin off the a-arms, and the other 2 main bolts connecting to the frame....so now, all bolts are off, but the a-arms are still stuck on the quad, becasue where i took the castle bolt of, the ball joint is not coming loose, where it connects to the hub...not only are the a-arms stuck on the hub, but i do not know how to get the damn tie rods off, should i loosen the tie rod bolts and jsut take them off completly? becasue i need to replace the tie rods with the 400ex tie rods [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
unfortunatly this is my first time doing this crap, so please bear with me and help men if anyone even knows what i am talking about, i could get some pics, if know what knows what the hell i am talking bout
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

got pictures for all of you to help me [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], i will send them to josh to get resized, then ill post em
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:09 AM

Whats stuck all the bolts and nuts or are they off?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:20 PM

pic number 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1054458-ian1.jpg (64.3 KB, 34 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:23 PM

pic #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1054461-ian2.jpg (67.7 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode