what sport quad to get - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what sport quad to get

All I can say is , and I stress this from a mechanics POV - DON'T GET A RAPTOR, DON'T GET A RAPTOR, DON'T GET A CRAPTOR OF ANY YEAR, as SCAMAYA WILL NOT stand behind it as soon as it's 5 minutes out of warranty.Over the last 10 years I have been a service manager for Kawasaki, Arctic Cat & John Deere,A I have never seen Such an unwillingness to try to help unfortunate owners of these inferior units.I will get my whole letter posted here soon so you know the whole story.I'm referring mostly to '01 Raptors' 2nd gear explosions, of which there have been many,many and Scamaya did'nt even issue a service bulletin on it. They blame failures on operators.Raptors have many other shortcomings as I found out all to late.When I get mine repaired,I'll probably suffer a $2,000 loss , and I just got the junker.Sell it and get an EX or Suzuki and add a few bolt ons and have Raptor power as it's engine is nothing to write home about.The polaris Predator Has more power with 160 fewer cc's. Read Raptor 720's comments on the Craptor on the project Raptor board. I agree w/ him totally. This so called atv's engine/trans was designed from a street bike. I've got a little free time so I planon continuing this written resentmemt toward Yamaha. They could throw me some goodwill parts, but they won't so I must do this.I fully intend to try to inform potential buyers to stay away from this unit.Would like to here from any Raptor owners. More Later.Jay from Central Oregon [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 03:48 PM

Re: what sport quad to get

the newer raptors are much better then the 2001, maybe thast what they were talking about, the 2003 raptors are impresie but still tippy for mx
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bite Me Edmund... [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 PM

edmund you are a idiot. You don't have a clue what your talking about. I don't even think you know how to ride thats why yours is crap.you just need to sit at home with your finger up your nose because thats the only thing you truly know about.My brother-in-law had a 400ex broke all the time took it to honda and they wouldn't fix anything because he rode it like an idiot to. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I never claimed to be an expert on the Raptor. I'll be nice & call it by its proper name although it does'nt deserve it. All I know is mine failed immediately on its first ride after a short test ride the previous day, when it seemed ok.By the way I'm 43 years old, been riding dirt bikes for about 33,before they were known as dirt bikes.And yes,I'm the third owner of a 2 year old machine,but my complaint is about the quality of a series of those gears and the many related failures. I believe it is safe to say if you are considering purchasing an '01 machine,offer the seller $1200 OR SO LESS TO ALLOW FOR TRANSMISSION UPDATE!,if it has'nt had it done allready. I realize everything in its first year of production has problems, but major drivetrain failures are relatively rare among the manufacturers. And when they do have one, most upstanding companies actually want to keep their customers for a future sale, and try to resolve the problem.It would be interesting to know the number of trans. failures. I'll bet it was in the hundreds, because I've heard of dozens just on the west coast,via the internet,magazine write ins by owners & by talking to a few big shops,such as San Jose Yamaha-they've all seen the same failure-mostly last year and before.Why does Sam Coe have to build special gears for it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 04:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a z400 [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:15 AM
bodgecr250

now i think we need josh n kyron's opinion on this, we all know they are the real brains at this site [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM

kyron hates quads, and josh think he knows things [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
he man you still have your raptor? it is a 2001? you want to sell the rear shock? i really need one bad, you should part it out over on bluetraxx, you could sell everything...i really need that shock tho
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 PM

also, when u sell the raptor or part it out, get a z or kfx either way i jsut want that rear shock, i cant find one anywhere and i have been looking for 2 months...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i can truly understand the feeling of having to fork out a few grand because of something you had no control over, just last year i had to kick out 7500$ to have my leg and knee bolted back together because instead of hitting a downed racer in front of me i chose to hit a huge rock

i have a 01 raptor and eventually i will change the gears but so far i have had no problem with them, fortunetaly i will do all the work myself and save some dough
I feel for ya but the reality of it is "TOUGH TITTY" what can we do?
maybe if we got a class action law suit together??and force a recall??

A good question might be, If the gear problem is all rider fault , why did the change them in 02??CAuse if they didnt fix the FRIGGEN problem no one would buy one thats why

Now i must address this

I have been a rider/racer/mechanic for close to 23 years now, i have worked in my dads shop and others and now i own my own ATV shop
I am impressed with the polaris pred, mostly for the price
I am mildly impressed with the z400, easy to ride
400ex great bike but getting outdated im afraid
if you truly believe that you can pull raptor like HP with a few bolt ons you must have been picking that locoweed that grows by I-5 in oregon
the raptor motor is not weak by any standard, it can be woken up quite easily by a smart mechanic an a dremel tool, but by no means needs it

The "Craptor as you call it" may have some shortcomings in the 01 year but yamaha opened a new market that bombadier wasnt and everyone else followed suit, time will tell but ask anyone who races and fixes their own stuff, they will prob agree that stuffs gonna break, thats what they make tools for

so in conclusion ,
sell your craptor and buy a z400/ex whatever, than come to AMA district 11/12 and i will feed you some midwest soil courtesey of yamaha and maxxis razr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode