Looking to buy some quads. need opinions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking to buy some quads. need opinions

Ok I've been a street bike rider for years and have recently decided to go dirt but want to make it a family affair. I'm looking to get 3 quads one for each of us. My wife has no riding experience nor does my 9 year old son and I have no quad nor dirt experience. I am thinking of getting a predator for myself a 250ex for the wife and an LTA50 for my son. I'm planning on racing eventually and my son may too, but I doubht the wife will. I'm looking for pros and cons of my choices and maybe some other choices.

Thanx all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Looking to buy some quads. need opinions

i think those are great choices

your son will prob out grow the zuki in a few years but if even if you dont have plans for more kids its a sound investment cause i have seen these minis seem to hold there value quite well, probably for the same reason ppl pay 20 bucks for nike baby shoes their kid outgrows in a month

in my case i did what you plan on for my wife and it backfired, i bought her a auto trans lakota so she could learn to ride easier but in a week or so she was riding my warrior and told me the lakota was to slow and no fun to ride, i guess it depends on your wife and her interest in quads, we live in the styx so i ride almost every day to take care of my farm and to get to the office i have for the business we run
So i traded the lakota for a pair of 250x's wich she rides also
as far as the bike for you
good choice , i have been riding a pred. off and on for a month now and i love it almost as much as my raptor

Good Luck!
[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:24 AM

Sounds like good picks. Your son will probaly quickly out grow the LT50 but that is a good starting spot and those are fairly easy to resell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was considering getting my son a predator 90 and just keep the limit down until he gets the hang of it for longevities sake, but there the laws and if he decides to try racing he can't race a 90 til he's 12. So I guess I bite the bullet and go for a 50.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think those laws are bullcrap!!!!!!!!!
my kids all learned how to ride early on and i strongly think that a responsible parent is what will be the determining factor when it comes to children and atv's

i was riding a 250x by the time i was 15 and smoking my grandfather "it was his 250x"
If it was me i would buy the mini pred and turn the governer down till he is ready, and since you sound very responsible you will know when he is ready

i dont mean to sound sore about these laws but i am a US army Ranger verteren and after serving my country so long i began to realize that this may be

The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, unless the govt feels it knows what is better for your kids than you do!

Just FYI

I have a 1 week old baby girl and she already has a electric powerered 300ex smaller than a power wheels , wheneever she gets wants to get on it i will be there for her,,hopefully she will learn to ride before she learns to walk LOL [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hehe teething the young one early. I am currently serving in the U.S. Navy and I'll agree with you on the laws. I am seriuosly leaning towards getting a 90 and I really think he'd get a kick out of having one like Dad's. I was also thinking maybe going with a raptor combo and getting the wife a warrior and keep the family in the yamaha realm since my street bike was an R1 (until it was stolen [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]) and I loved it, so did my son, and been real happy with Yamaha in general, but both the Predators come with a lot of nice extras out the gate and are a bit cheaper.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an e-ton 50cc quad for sale in very good condition. my daughter is 11 years old and about 110 lbs. she is moving up to a 90-100cc machine. i can send you pics of the quad if you like. i am only asking $900. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1038596-txl-50.JPG (38.4 KB, 13 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:07 PM
tony1034

ANSFANJOE,

Stay away from the Raptor 80 (It's a badger w/ new plastic), it has a very poor suspension on it. I would also stay away from the Suzuki LT's (or Kawi's if you like green). In the rear suspension, the motor makes up part of the swing arm and could be very dangerous. If you want to get a really good youth quad, I'd go with the Kasea (or Blast) or the Xtreme. The Dnili's aren't that bad, but the other two rock. The Kasea has the most aftermarket support for, but is tuned down a bit to meet CPSC guidelines. But for less than $30, you can make it fly compared to stock. Check out the youth forum here and on atvsource for more info on youth bikes.

Good luck!
Tony P.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info on the Raptor 80 however as to the LT's there plenty of kids at the local MX track that have been running em with little trouble. I'm leaning towards the predator 90 anyway and just keep the limit cranked down til he's ready to step up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode