OIL - Auto vs Motorcycle (Petro vs Synethetic) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 07:38 PM
tony1034

OIL - Auto vs Motorcycle (Petro vs Synethetic)

I was doing some research lately on oil. I've always used Honda HP4 (petroleum/synthetic blend) in my CBR900RR. It made a noticable difference in performance and shifting on the 900. I've been using the Honda GN4 (petroleum) in my 400ex. I spoke to the parts guy at Honda and he said that the HP4 oil is ok in the 400ex as long as it says "without moly". The HP4 oil they had, did not have moly in it. I was wondering "whats the difference"? Also, I was wondering what was so special about the GN4 oil at $3.99 a quart vs good old Castrol GTX that you can get on sale for $1.49 a quart at WalFart. I searched the Internet and came across a Professor at a University that tested oils. He tested Castrol GTX, Castrol Syntec, Golden Spectro, Honda HP4 and Mobil 1. As it turns out the synthetic oils were DEFINITELY better than straight Petroleum oil .... which makes sense. But the funny thing was that the Golden Spectro motorcycle oil was no different than the Castrol GTX. When the University contacted them, they had no comment. All the motorcycle manufacturers like to use the fact that motorcycles spin upwards to 14,000 rpm's and the oil lubes the engine, trans and in some cases the clutch. This is the big SUCKER marketing scheme that catches all of us. As the report finalized the Synthetic Mobil 1 oil was the BEST oil out of the bunch. At $3.49 a quart its a real bargain compared to Honda's HP4 oil at $6.99 a quart. If you're buying Petroleum based oil the report said to save your money and buy Castrol GTX. As for the moly issue that the parts guy brought up at my Honda dealer, I'm not sure about and I don't know if Mobil 1 has moly in it or not. But I thought the report was interesting and that everyone on this forum may be interested in it. Needless to say, I'm going to be using Mobil 1 in my car and possibly in my bikes. Otherwise, I'll use the Castrol GTX in my bikes.

Regards,
Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OIL - Auto vs Motorcycle (Petro vs Synethetic)

Valvoline has the highest temperature breakdown of the petroleum based oils. I have used it in race quads with no failures.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

typically automobile oils have polymurs in them that will bond to the wet clutch set up run in atv/dirtbikes/streetbikes and cause slippage.

generally off motorcycle oil also has additives in it that help the oil from breaking down when going through the gears.

You DO NOT want moly in your oil if you go to HP-4

HP-4 is a synthetic blend versus the GN-4 which is not.

I run GN-4 for breakin and switch to HP-4 after that,

the silver bottle is moly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I normally dont give my race quad time for its blood to break down from too much heat, i change it every race just to be safe, check for metal flakes etc. so i figure i spend about the same ammount of money as the same guy who spends 7 bucks on one qt of oil, i get oil lots chaeper than 1.49 a qt though cause i buy a crapload of it for the work trucks i got
Am i being niave and should consider synthetic for my baby? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

synthetic has its advantages and disadvantages.

the fact that you change your oil every ride is pretty much the best you can do.

synthetic is 4 times slipprier(sp?) than conventional oil and also resists break down alot more.

it is 5 times as much as conventional. you DO NOT want to use it for breakin and some people say it causes clutch slippage(BS if you ask me cause no probs here)

i use the hp-4 blens cause i know its good stuff.

when i switch to Motul 15w-50 in the R6 street bike the trans actually shifted smoothly. it def made a noticable diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode