Good polaris,Bad polaris... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good polaris,Bad polaris...

[img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]I'm a new poaris 700 owner and somewhat disgruntled ,I've had a few minor problems with it ( oil leak, coolant leak, poor cold weather starts, crappy customer service) already, at only 30 hrs. so I guess I'm looking for other polaris owners or ex-owners to give a little positive encouragement or say they suck! Seemed like it was the machine to have at the time, plus I like the fact its built in america,but right now I'm not sure I made a good choice,I also looked at the Kawi 650...Hmmm. Any replies appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:11 PM

Re: Good polaris,Bad polaris...

I dont know anything about polaris exepet they are just too heavy. I do ride my fathers Kawasaki Prairie 650 and both he and i have never had any problems with it. Plus it is lighter than the polaris, and is very fast for a 4x4 Quad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:18 PM

The Polaris 700 has a number of problems and many owners seem to be unhappy with them. The new 600 Twin seems to address alot of the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply's, Dwaters; can you give me some specifics on what issues the 700 seems to have, Maybee I'll off it while it's new....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

(bump)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok, here we are. 11 hours on the new 400 SP and the complaints are starting [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] .... Are the Sportsmans supposed to start that hard. ( No idle RPM ) or does the fact that it was -20 for two days matter [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] .... The 400 does seam a bit "squirrely" ... don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful machine and, for a person my size, it's just perfect. I test drove yammy's, Honda's and Kawwy's and the Polaris was, by far, the better choice. Am I wrong thinking that a) once the weather warms up and b) when the machine gets "broke in" it will run better ????? Anyone have any ideas ??????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

uh oh.....ok i need the good and bads of the new Trailboss's??? it seems cool but sounds like polaris eh yea help me [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

fourwheelinchick,
I think you lost me on the last post.
The biggest "problems" I've seen with any Polaris would be the drive chain. Make sure there are adjusted within spec. Any excess slack will take out both the chain and scrockets. I have a 96 Xplorer 300, and it's a royal pain in the "bump bump bump" ( Rear chain is esy to adjust, front chains are another story [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] ) Maybe someone else can comment as to weather Polaris fixed there little "chain" problem or not.
All in all, my 96 has been through hell and back and still runs great. I've only had to replace a front drve axle and one front hub and this machine plows snow all winter and is out muddin ( with the big boys ) all summer.
Maybe I'm not compairing apples to apples, but I had to put in my 2 cents ..... [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doodle,I can adjust the idle on the sportsman with a thumb screw on the carb, it's easy to get to. Since I have turned it up(counterclockwise) she idles better while warming up,once she's warm I have to turn it back down or she races.Glad to hear your happy with the 96 ,it's encouraging to hear Polaris owners that are happy. Amongst the people I know with Polaris's the majority speak highly of them.I guess time will tell...How close to the factory are you? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Americanrider,
I'm about 6 hours from the main factory ( Roseau ). I've been up there a few times, it's real cool seeing more ATV's in the parking lot then cars.
I worked at a plant that built all the driveline componants ( Tranny's, front & rear housings, axles, etc ) for Polaris so maybe that makes me a bit one sided. But I've also been in on some R&D and know that Polaris is ALWAYS trying to make things better. Am I beginning to start like a salesman ??
Sure, everyone has something bad to say about EVERYTHING, why else are we here. Yes, Polaris has problems with there belts ( or they did ) .... Anything else .... Go ahead and throw some Hondas in .... is one brand less apt to breakdown then another ???? I don't think so. THEY ALL BREAK .. SOMETIME .. SOMEWHERE ... THEY ALL BREAK ...
[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode