which quad is better for me Z400 or raptor 650 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which quad is better for me Z400 or raptor 650

Could someone please give me some imput on which quad i should buy the 2003 Raptor 650 or the Suzuki Quadsport Z400. I am 110 lbs and 5'4. I still consider myself to be a novice rider but I have rode the Honda ex250 for some time and consider it to be to slow. I have no problem with a manual clutch and have ridden a polaris predator once. I loved the power but I don't like the idea of not having reverse. I've sat on both the suzuki and the raptor but have not had the opportunity to ride either. I hear that the raptor is a little more unstable on turns but a lot faster. I dont have a lot of upper arm and body strength so I wasn't sure if it would be a problem. I don't know which would be easier to handle when i do jumps and go up steep inclines.If anyone can give me some imput according to my size and frame with which would be better for me please leave some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 02:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: which quad is better for me Z400 or raptor 650

Hey man, I got a z and I'm 6'2 240lbs. I'm a beginner I guess. I just started jumping it, but I have'nt been to the dunes yet. I'm going out to razerback this weekend for presidents day. So anyway I think if you can handle the 250 then either won't be a problem for you. I also heard though that the raptor tends to wheelie. The z is a great al around bike. I'm a big boy and I just started jumping about 2 or 3 feet and it doesnt eve feel like I get off the ground. According to th mags out here the raptor will take the z in a drag but thats it, the z smokes it in every other catagory. So if I were you get the z man, you want to go relly fast in a straigt line and not be able to handle thebike that well or go fast and be able to handle the bike good. Hope I said something that helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 02:53 AM
MXTrackChick

do not get the raptor!!!!!!!! im 5'6" 98 lbs, and im pretty experienced in riding... the raptor did not fit me at all!!! the Z400/KFX400 will be more to your fit... trust me.. we're about the same size... the Raptor feels like a 4x4 quad to me in the way it handles and stuff.... the 400 size is much more compatable for our size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For someone your size the smaller Z would probably be alittle easier to handle. And the raptor is not as wheelie prown as all these people say it is you have to know when you can give it the gas. I'll admit when I first started driving it I was a pain to keep the front wheels down but as you learn when and where you can use that throttle it isn't a problem anymore. Being able to pick the front up has helped me alot with ruts and holes on my trails. As far as being tippy I have had no problem with my stock 01 in this department. If you take off and fly around a turn sitting straight up on the thing I imagine you would alittle leaning and there is no problem. Like mag says the raptor isn't a beginer quad and even if you are expereienced you have to get used to it before you take off and try everything wide open since there are only a few with the raptor in the power class and there mainly two strokes. Or am I the only one who has never really ran into all those famous problems that supposedly plague the raptor?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:18 PM

the raptor is really not as good as some might think, go for the modable z or 400ex
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been riding/racing my raptor since the day they hit the showroom floor and i guess i own the most problem plagued model 01 but i have yet to have any problems that i would consider factory defects, i burned up a clutch last season but it was the stock clutch and i worked it extemely hard that day in overly muddy conditions
Change the gearing and your weight placement and wheelies go away unless you want them
Besides that it is a gem, and as far as the magazines go, i watch and learn more on the track, i have yet to be smoked by a z400 yet in the woods but since i also own a z400 also i can do my own testing
My practice track is on 10 acres of partially wooded ground with many elevation changes and a small portion that resembles a MX track, i must admit it is slightly more of a workout riding the raptor but lap times are always faster.
the z400 is easier to ride but i dont feel it has the hard hit and pull all the way through a gear like my raptor does
this is just my opinion and im no magazine test rider but they are problably paid off anyway.Their opinions just dont match what happens at the track so i think they are full of [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

As far as Raptor VS Z400??
go with the z400 unless, its a better bike all around for someone smaller and in stock form it rocks. At the risk of starting a war here i truely believe the raptor is faster all around but it also requires quite a bit of mods and a bit of learning to ride it to ride it well
having said this i will now take cover because the shooting is about to begin [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 PM

I would buy the Z400 if I weighed 110 lbs. from what I have read, it handles a little better, is lighter, and should have more than enough power for a light rider such as yourself. all the power in the world wouldn't do you much good if you can't keep the front end down while gassing it in the corners, or if you aren't strong enough or heavy enough to muscle it around, becides the power to weight ratio would probably be pretty close to say a 220 lb rider on a Raptor, so doubtful you'd ever be left behind when out riding at your favorite spot. and with the money you'd save buying the Z, after you got used to it, you could buy a pipe or make other mods if ya still wanted more. from what I've heard one thing to watch for on the Z is a weak back axle, but unless you ride really hard, or hit big rocks you might be ok <magazine test riders are kinda known to be tough on test quads>, good luck with whatever you buy and have fun
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a Z400 out preforms a raptor in everything cept a quarter mile run, where the raptor beats it by like 5 feet, i'd say the z400 its more stable, and its got enough power for anyone, i own 2, and im 190 lbs, 6'2.. it gets me everywhere in glamis i want to go. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode