Blaster Problem - Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blaster Problem - Help

New to this forum; however, went out this weekend and my son's Blaster quit running on the (Dumont) dunes. Couldn't get it to kickover. Got home took carb apart - looks ok, but no gas to spark plug EXCEPT for when holding wide open. Can now start it with main jet open, but won't idle. What should we look at --- blown reeds, compression problems, pistons, HELP. Was getting ready to sell for bigger quad for my son, but I want to make sure this is running decent before I pass it on. Thanks for any insights.

SuzyQ Family:
2001 Polaris 500 Scrambler
1991 Yamaha Blaster
2001 Honda XR 100
2001 Honday XR 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Blaster Problem - Help

make sure the float is not sticking or that the main jet is not clogged along with other jets in the carb. make sure fuel line is free from debris and flows with little resistance.

could possibly be bad reeds or loss of compression or in this case crankcase vacuum which will not draw enough gas though the carb
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you may be ready for a rebuild.Pull the head and check the piston.You DONT want to damage the crank shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your insights on Blaster fix. Will be taking a look Thursday night. By the way, the info. you all were giving QuadNewb58 about stay safe was right on. My son has been on his Blaster for 2 years and just now at 14 years old, 6' tall and 200 lbs he's ready to move up -- but just a little. Experience, experience, experience! What do you guys think my son's next quad should be -- from Blaster 200 to Honda 300ex, Polaris 400 or Suzuki440 (I think that's what it's called?)or ? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM

Right on SuzyQ We wouldn't want some one killing themselves like we probably almost have , I had a few incidents none the less And I am sure the other fellow atver's also had their fair share. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Definately 300ex.They can be very forgiving of mistakes [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and are easy to upgrade.Plus you get the reliability of a honda.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just in case anyone is interested -- it was the slow jet, not the main jet, that was full of sand -- thus no idle [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] All back together now and ready to sell -- any one in Las Vegas, NV area interested in a Blaster -- pretty much stock, except for Boysen reeds, 4 new tires, 2 new front shocks, and a set of new Sand Geckos on Douglas rims . . . asking only $1500.00 for quick sale so we can buy a new quad before President's Day weekend.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Old Hand

At 5'10 200 pounds a 300ex feels very scrunched to me. Thats the only thing I don't like about the bike other then the short wheel base. Since your son is my size (just a tad taller) do him a favor and go with a z400 or a 400ex. It will be a much more comfertable machine for him.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
traxas_man_2006

Man i am so confused now. I am a newbi and i need to now what quad to buy. I am looking at the blaster but i know it is small. I am 5' 11" and 195lbs. I have never riden a quad before so i am still thinking to go with a blaster till i get the experience. Any one have any ideas.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 03:40 AM
Old Hand

Go warrior, used ones are getting cheaper all the time. Its faster then the blaster, its reliable, its comfertable for all day riding. It has electric start and reverse too. I love mine, put in 6 to 8 hour days on it. The long wheel base makes it safer then a blaster to for a newbie, climbing hills, big whoops ect. Buy a warrior put on a pro flow and maybe an aftermarket bar if you want some more room, and like to stand up or crouch. If I where buying a new machine though I'd get a z400, has all the warrior's features, with much more performance.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode