Birthday Quad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Birthday Quad

Hello, I am new to these forums, just to let you know. Anyways I am just wondering which quad would be best for me. I am about 5'11 (still growing) and 150lbs. I am turning 15 in December. Currently I am looking at the DS650 and the Raptor. I am starting to think that the DS650 is going to be too big. But I am very interested in Desert Racing. I have heard that the Raptor is very tipsy. I do have experience riding quads (about 7years). The terrain I ride on is mostly desert (havent been in the sand yet!)and I love to go to mojave also. Also I dont want a quad that will squash me in a wipe out, and I dont want one that will buck me off. Its a toss up in my opinion.

I know you have gotten many questions like these before, but I would greatly appriciate all the opinions I could get before I buy one.

Jeff-

Also, Is it true that parts for the DS are outrageous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Birthday Quad

First of all, I have to say what a pleasure it is to read a post from a very young teenager that is so well written and whose thoughts are expressed so succinctly. We can all take a lesson from you!
That said, I would try to make a point of riding each of the two quads in question, not just in a parking lot or field, but hopefully in a real world environment.The DS is, as you already know, quite a large machine and somewhat wide for tight trail conditions. I have very limited experience on the Bombardier but what I did have was on a slightly modified desert XC quad owned by a pro rider. My impression was that I was riding a Jeep with handle bars [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'm sure that had I been in a XC, wide open desert situation rather than on a 2 track desert trail the feeling would have been more comfortable.
As for the Raptor, having ridden mine for going on two years in XC, desert 2 track, and woods in summer, I continue to be amazed at those who find it "tippy", even some mag. writers.
I frequently have tossed mine into 90 deg and even 120 deg corners at speed with never a hint of rolling or even bicycling. It is true, however, that the OEM radial tires tend to give less warning of bicycling than do bias plys, but a little practice can accustom one to the condition; at least until; he replaces the tires. I did roll my Raptor once though, but I doubt the blame could be placed on the bike. It occurred coming out of a blind turn in the woods and sliding sideways into a Ponderosa pine log jutting out into the trail...bent the axle [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I replaced it with a Lone Star Axcaliber +1. That axle has made the quad even more stable in the terrain I ride and still narrow enough to negotiate the tightest of woods riding.
I guess the bottom line is either machine you mention will make you happy, with the DS possibly more at home in dunes or wide open XC.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hot_shoe_cv
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It is greatly appriciated. Thanks for complimenting me on my writing. It has taken me a while to express my thoughts clearly.

Anyways, There aren't woods where I live, Just desert. I live in a small town and all I have to do it hop on and I am ready to go. It is mostly open trails around here and I do plan on taking up desert racing soon.So all in all I will mostly be riding in open areas (i.e desert) I am just wondering if a DS would be just too big. But also I am still growing and would like something i could "grow into". Currently I ride a small Suziki 160 [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It has bucked me off a few times at the desert(broken arm). Cost of new fenders $700 bucks. That is way too much for a peice of plastic in my opinon. So I had to do a little modification. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Personally I think that the DS is built a bit better than the Raptor. In my opinion it looks/feels better built.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Warrior00

well here ya go i turned 15 a few moths ago and have been riding quad since i was like 7 and i started out on a honda 300 4x4 well ne way i currently own a 2003 warrior i had a 2000 warrior but its a long story about that... well when i went to buy my new warrior i could of bought a 2001 raptor instead but idk... it probly was a big mistake but i love the warrior... and im 6'0 145 lbs... well in a year or to im gonna trade it on the new honda if it comes out and if it has reverse or on a z400 or raptor... well i kinda got side tracked there well if you want a destert quad i would go with like the Suzuki z400 and hten the money u saved not much u can buy for performance mods....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:54 PM

followme, just wonderin...why havn't you thought of a banshee? ultimate desert machine right their...sounds like u just like fourstrokes, ds would be more stable at high speeds, and has the better suspension...raptor just smaller, lighter...but narrower, and it sounds like you will be going at high speeds, i would say the DS, wider and just all around more stable....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

joshiznuckinfutz
I have been thinking about the banshee also. I guess I like four-strokes better. The DS is one big machine. I like the feel of siting on it also, better than the raptor. Thanks for your comments joshiznuckinfutz.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
MXTrackChick

follow me: im not really big on the 2 stroke quad business... very high maintanance.... but.... i have ridden a banshee and they are awesome quads... i wouldnt rule one out.... try one out and see how u like it....the only thing is they might be outlawed soon, and they are very high maintanance... but if u like workin on stuff and u have some experience... then it just adds to the fun.... believe me.... im definitely a 4 stroke person (ask the people on this forum who know me a little), but the banshee got two thumbs up on the fun factor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 08:15 AM

well, not SOON, two strokes won't be outlawed, but they may stop being manufactured eventuallly....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:35 AM

wut will life be like without screamers...~sniff sniff~ hold me josh [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 01:36 PM

No more banshee production... isn't that a crime. The sound alone is worth the price to buy one......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode