Rough Idle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rough Idle

For some dumb reason I let my friend borrow my ATV because we were moving out of state and didn't have enough room to take it with us. He drives a truck and was making a trip out to our area in about two weeks so it seemed like the perfect thing to do. Well to make a long story short, he kinda ruined it after having it for about 8 months. The spark plug was out of the head and was rusty, so the inside of the head probably looks like that too, there was mouse crap all over the whole atv. The guy was saying that he thought there was a starter problem, so I took it out, in order to take it out I had to cut the wire, and took it to a shop and had it tested. It was fine. So I put the new wire, battery, and spark plug in and got it to run. But it won't idle. AT ALL! I got all of the gas out, put some carb cleaner treatment in the tank, and refilled it with gas. I noticed that there is a hose that comes out the bottem of the carb that isn't plugged into anything, is it supposed to be? and if so, where? A very little bit of gas comes out of the hose. I took the whole air filter box off the the four wheeler, and it kind of sounds like it is back fireing, but not out of the muffler, it is just a wierd sound. Does someone know of a carb diagram that would show where all the hoses go? Any suggestions to fix the problems are appreciated!
Thanks for your time,
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rough Idle

Well the hose on the carb i don't think should be hooked to anything. My atc200 has that same thing the hose is just hanging there. If it won't idle maybe think about adjusting the carberator. If you moved higher or lower in elevation quite a bit you will definitely have to adjust the carb.
Hope this helps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 11:29 AM

that hose doesnt plug into anything..i would clean the carb up good first..its probably full of crap from your dumb friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The hose from the bottom of the bowl is an overflow hose designed to drain fuel overflow from the bowl caused from improper float level or from sloshing in transport or a float valve which is not closing fully. Unless it is leaking excessively, not a problem. It sounds as though your friend has left the bike sitting for extended periods which has caused the fuel in the carb to become varnish. I'd fully disassemble the carb including the removal of all jets and soak all parts in carb cleaner overnight.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 12:42 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If the hose comes out of the bottom of the float bowl it is there so you can drain the fuel out of the floatbowl when in storage with a screw at the bottom of the floatbowl.

If it comes out about the same height as which the fuel supply line goes in, then it is a vent. It's used to keep vapor lock from happening and to prevent foaming.

Don't put any treatment in the tank. Flush it all out. It doesn't do the rubber and plastic parts in the carburetor any good.

It sounds like you either have a choke circuit problem or an idle air circuit problem. Pull the carburetor off the quad and clean it thoroughly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode