Need Help Picking a Suitable Quad!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 10:48 PM
MXTrackChick

Need Help Picking a Suitable Quad!!!!

Hey everyone, I'm a 17/f/ from Texas and I am deciding to finally buy my own quad after wearing out my old 80's model Honda that was given to me over 5 years ago. I am wanting to put a down payment on a quad at the end of summer but I am having trouble deciding exactly what would be the best quad for me. I am only 5'6" and 109 lbs, but I am an aggressive driver and I have pretty good experience with all sorts of obstacles. I have a lot of friends that race and they would also help me out but they know more about dirtbikes than quads. I really like the Raptors but someone said that it might be too big for me, I don't want a really small quad b/c I want one that can be competitive. I've heard a lot of negative comments about some models, so I am wary of a few of them. But anyways, if you have any info you think that would be of use please reply back to me! Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help Picking a Suitable Quad!!!!

You might try a Blaster. They are inexpensive to get into and can be modified for any level of competition. They are a "Blast" to jump.

My teenage son's Blaster is modified to 240cc and is quite fast and nimble (I think we've spent nearly $5k on mods). My wife's Blaster is bone stock and more reliable than any other bike in our garage.

My son is approximately 160 lbs and does not like the feel of my Raptor. He's used to the low center of gravity and 250lb machine. I'm glad he doesn't like my Raptor, I didn't want to share anyway.

Hope that helps. Just waving the Blaster flag as usual.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:24 PM

with your size i would go for a blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:29 PM
MXTrackChick

I have considered a Blaster, but I keep hearing how they are much slower than a lot of other quads (if I spent $5 thou on mods I could get something much faster and stuff and I would prefer to not have to spend that much on mods but have the quad already running at a competitive speed instead of adding so much stuff to it to make it be able to keep up with the bigger quads) and I looked at a pic and it seemed almost as small as my old Honda and I'm way too big for my Honda. I have fairly long legs for my height so I'm almost "top heavy" feeling on my honda. Is their anything with some real power that would stay with the big boys? But thanks for the info on the Blasters.. I am looking into them more since ya'll mentioned them!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:38 PM

i think with your size a blaster could move you pretty fast..you dont want to get a machine too large that you cant muscle around
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 PM
MXTrackChick

yeah.. I have a friend that lives a few miles away from me that has a Blaster but hes way shorter than me.. I'm worried about how cramped I will be on it.. Maybe I could ride his one day to see how I feel.. I just dont want to be way too tall for it b/c on my honda I feel like a kid that has outgrown a little pony or somethin.. haha
Oh yeah I forgot to mention.. I'm not so sure about the 2 stroke either.. ive always liked 4 stroke better... but well you have to weight out pros and cons I guess..
I measured my old Honda and I found out that the Blaster is only 2 1/2" taller than my old Honda so I think I should get something a little bit bigger b/c I feel way too big for that little Honda and the Blaster is just barely bigger than it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 11:04 PM

Go for the new Suzuki Z400.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 05:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was gonna say either that, or a 400ex...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:53 AM
MXTrackChick

WOW.... I LOVE THAT Z400!!! That is one serious consideration!!! Thanks a lot!! The price seems a little bit better too! Do you think there will be good aftermarket mods for it when it comes out?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it's a sport quad, company's are probably already backed up with tons of aftermarket products for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode