Can I buy a good used 90cc quad for under a grand? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can I buy a good used 90cc quad for under a grand?

My son is tearing his go-kart up! Big surprise. That 6 horse tecumpseh (?) engine is made for a lawnmower and not that kind of use. Anyway, he is 10 1/2 yrs old and about 80 pounds. I think it is definitely time for a quad for him. He is a crazy kid and pushes everything to the limit - so I want to start him off on something that can be goverened down a little to start with. What kind of used 90cc quad can I expect to get for around $1000? I like hondas (started myself on a atc 70) but it doesn't have to be a honda. Any advice? Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 AM
raptor_rider

Re: Can I buy a good used 90cc quad for under a grand?

Yamaha makes a real nice 90cc breeze that would fit the bill, but I think I would put him on a Blaster, Its 200 cc but it isnt verry peppy until you pipe and jet it, then there is a list of things you can do to make them run , that way you wont be buying something else next year
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Raptor...... I rode a 95' Blaster a while back when I was trying to decide what to get for myself. If you knew my son you would understand why I want something that can be goverened to start with! Plus, I have let him ride my 400ex (only to 2nd gear) and he had lots of probs with the clutch. I have thought about the Blaster because of the reasons you have stated (excellent prices and can be added to very inexpensively) but my son has already rolled his go kart on its side once (only had it a month)! I think for his safety it would be best to start with something a little milder. Can you buy thumb throttles with goveners? If so then the Blaster maybe would work. Anyway, thanx for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 04:19 PM

i believe the thumb throttle has a governer in it to begin with
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 06:51 PM
raptor_rider

It doesent have a gov. but it does have a stop screw, or you could just adjust the throttle cable to not open very far
There are Blasters ALL over the place , just this morning my wife read an article ,(91 Blaster $1400.00)
they are easy to ride and light, so they handle pretty good also, I have 2 of them and we love then
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the Yamaha Raptor Mini 80 it's not a 90 but it is onl 2499 dollars.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im not sure where you are at and whats available, but I recently purchased a "Yerf Dog" 90 cc for my 5 yr old. Seems to be a great little bike, automatic, electric start, oil injected 2 stroke. Has a safety kill switch on a teather so if they fall off it kills the bike. It has a thumb throttle gov and enough umph to pull my 200lb rear around with ease. 150 lb weight limit though, LOL. I got it for $900 used. I have seen similar bike at tractor supply, and some other large farm equip type stores for around $1500 I think. A net search should get you some good info. Good luck, hope this info helps.

Jamie
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks overkill.... I have seen those off-brand models around places like TSC or Country General. I am not sure I want to buy anything but a major brand name (honda, suzuki, etc) because of reliability and getting parts for them. I went and looked at a 1986 (yes, 86!) honda 200sx for a grand.... kinda beat up though. The same guy had 2 honda 125 quads - also 1986's - he said we would sell one for $900. They weren't in too bad of shape, but I don't really want to fork out $900 for a machine that is 16 yrs old and probably sold for about $1000 new. Also, the honda 125's had NO suspension, either. I will just bide my time and something will show up.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am no expert on what kind of quad to buy but a great place to check prices is a www.cycletrader.com, just go to the search icon at the top of the screen and you can customize your search to just about anything you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode