New to the Forum, and ATVing... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to the Forum, and ATVing...

Hello all, My buddy just came down last weekend from CT, and was riding his cousins Quad. He loved it and talked me into going down to the dealership to look around with him... Needless to say we picked up our two spanking new 2002 Raptors yesterday (Mine Black/White, His Team Blue). I knew I was in trouble when he said he wanted to go look around, and I should "just take a ride". anyway I have never ridden a quad except when I was a kid a little bit cause my friend has a few, but nothing major. We were going to buy Warriors but after reading a ton of reviews and the fact that I'm 6'4" 250lbs, I figured the Raptor would be a better choice. My friend couldn't than buy a warrior and see me on a raptor, so he bought one to. I used to ride street bikes a lot, had a GSXr-750 up until three years ago, but never rode dirt...

Anyway, Just wanted to say hello, and let everyone know that there will be a new presence on the forums... Also any advice on getting used to this thing so we don't kill ourselves would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:21 AM
GTA

Re: New to the Forum, and ATVing...

Wear your safety gear, & Ride it like you stole it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:10 AM
raptor_rider

WELCOME , and congrats on the new toy!!!
I love my Raptor, but if its the first quad you've owned, the first thing you need to do is widen it, it will make it more stable, and get rid of those rear tires, they bite to much, they wont alow you to power slide
To widen your ride , the correct way is to get a wider rear axle and wider A-Arms, but thats a couple grand by the time you get the shocks for the front as well, but you can widen it for around $425.00
RPM has a rear axle (dominator) with a lifetime garantee, that is 3 inches wider than stock and is around $400.00, then you can buy some flush mount valve stems and turn the front rims around, that will give you about an inch and a half wider on each side, making it WAY more stable
Then we have those tires, I run Holeshots on mine and LOVE them they let me spin when I want and they hook when I want, very predictable tire
Once again WELCOME to the forum and have fun with the new toy[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holeshots seem to be the way to go from what I have been reading, What size, and model should I run... Want a good all around tire. Also I was told the FIRST thing I should change is the swing arm skid plate... do you guys agree?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also as far as widening this thing, after shelling out the eight thousande plus for the Raptor, Trailer, Helmet, gloves, goggles, boots, Warranty, etc.. I have to try and keep the spending down a little bit. How well to those extenders that bold onto the existing axcel work? They are supposed to give aroung 2" per side. are these worth trying out or are they just a cheap way of getting around spending big $$$ that i'm gonna have to shell out at some point anyway???
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:01 PM

See this article:

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/...ort/index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:47 PM
raptor_rider

I usualy DONT suggest spacers, unless your NOT going to jump, but the ones DWATERS has shown look to be the best Iv'e seen
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:50 PM
raptor_rider

OH and YES get the swing arm skid plate, and belly pan skid also, I got mine from Yamaha, and I like the way they fit (just like they were made for it) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:58 PM
GTA

I guess if you bought them from Yamaha, they were made for it.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 04:00 PM

Agree with on the GYT-R belly plate and skid plate. They are both very nice. We will have a story and pictures in this months issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode