Not sure what to get... Friendly advice welcome - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure what to get... Friendly advice welcome

I am thinking about getting a new ATV for trail riding in the mountains of Colorado. I have ridden before but it has been many years. The main course for riding would be tight trails, rockcrawling, and hillclimbs. I'm not sure if I should get 4X4 for better traction or 2X4 for manuvering through the trees. I was thinking of maybe a Yamaha wolverine or Warrior, maybe even a Polaris 500 H.O. I figured I would ask those who know best. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:02 AM
raptor_rider

Re: Not sure what to get... Friendly advice welcome

to be able to give a better answer to your question, we need to know how well you can ride, how tall are ya , how much do you weigh, are you just going to trail ride ot are you going to the dunes also, are you going to jump, things of this sort will be verry helpful in tyring to find the right quad for you
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Raptor, I will try and provide good info for you. I rode alot for about 5 years then stopped for the last 10, I think I am a decent rider but with the new stuff out now I cannot be certain that I am at the top of my abilities right now. I'm 5'8" 175lbs, I am mainly going to be riding trails with a few minor jumps, I Love Speed through the straight shots. There is no sand anywhere near where I live so thats probly out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:04 PM
raptor_rider

OK now were getting somewhere, now all you have to do is decide whether you want a sports quad or utility quad
There is a kinda inbetween class though,
Yamaha 660 Grizzly 4x4
Kawasaki 650 Prairie 4x4
I like these two (in this order) they have LOTS of power for ripping down the straight aways, they are both excelent 4 wheel drive quads that will get you anywhere you want to go, and they both have very good ergonomics
If you think these are to big or to heavy, I would go with Yamaha wolverine, if you want a sports quad I would look at the Yamaha Raptor or the Honda 400EX
GOOD LUCK
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tyvm Raptor, thats exactly the type of input I was looking for.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:24 PM

If rock crawling is on your list I would go for the Kawaski Prairie 650. A sport quad just will not work very well for that type of riding.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 05:34 PM

I have a 2002 honda 350 4x4 that is good for tight woods and especially a good 9.7 inch ground clearance that would be good for the rocks and hills climbing as well. overall I love this bike so i recommed it if you want a tall bike with good power for its size.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've noticed that noone has mentioned Cats. I'd definately recommend the 375 automatic. 10 inches of ground clearance, great suspension, although some people dislike the feeling of body roll, but in my opinion, once you get used to it, its fine. 2 and 4 wheel selectable drive, single lever hydraulic brakes are amazing. the duramatic transmission is great, i've never had a problem with belt slippage. She's got lots of gumption for those straights, but i'll admit the top speed isnt that high. She doesn't feel heavy at all, and is great for playing around. And when it's needed, she can haul a mean load of wood, or carry a dozen people.. (though you really shouldt put that many people on a quad anyway!). Its just my two cents, im sure there are other quads equally as good, but that's my recommendation.

Evan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 PM

Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4, from my exprience on ours, its turns very short, excelent traction. plus high or low with 5 gears each, i killed my buddys Honda 300 four-trax with it
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:47 PM
deepnsteeP

Ever think of a Scrambler.........seems to fit exactly what you are lookin for. Great turning ability, four wheel drive, sport quad handling. Seems to me that they are a pretty close comparison to that Wolverine with a little more power....I think.....and best of all......true four wheel drive. I don't know about you, but I have ridden Polaris's for awhile now and couldn't go back to a manual shift. If ya got that clutch in good order.....they seem to work great. And from what I hear, a clutch kit makes a ton of difference for about 150 bucks I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode