2001 raptor/2000 400ex /keep my mx bike? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2001 raptor/2000 400ex /keep my mx bike?

I'm new to this site. I grew up on three-wheelers (atc 70, Yamaha 175, Honda 200x, then switched to motorcycles when I was about 18 (Honda xr 250r). I now have a Yamaha wr 2002r (a two stroke "trail" mx bike). This bike is a 2 stroke - with 4 stroke reliability (no rebuilds). My question is this: I have not really ridden a sport quad, but am considering switching to one because you can do so many more things with them (sand riding/mountain riding/winter riding/etc). Anyway, am I going to be dissapointed in the "athletic ability" of a 4 wheeler after riding a mx bike for 8 years? There is a little used 2001 raptor for $4895 and a 2000 400 ex for $3895 in my area. Both are in very good shape. Which one should I go for and why? BTW, I am 32 now and don't ride as hard as I used to, but still like to get a little crazy now and then. Thanx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:39 AM
raptor_rider

Re: 2001 raptor/2000 400ex /keep my mx bike?

I have a Raptor (2001) a Banshee (2000) and 2 blasters (2000,1993) and a Polairis trail blazer (2000) I had a 87 CR250 sold it and got the Banshee, fell in love with the 4 wheelers , for just the reasons you listed and then some ( I love to fly around logging roads ) the 4 wheelers do every thing I want them to , I to was concerned about geting the same thrill I got an my CR, so I got the Banshee (2 stroke) then a year later they came out with the Raptor, had to have one , have done a few things to make it run better (pipe, jets and air box ) It hits almost like a 2 stroke but it also goes as slow as I want it to ( I'm 41 ) and as JOSH will tell ya , I'm the ANCIENT one around here, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] any way I love the power the Raptor has , it has real nice suspention , It does need to be widened , but other than that , your ready for what ever you want it to do, I have friends who have 400 EX's , they to can stand to be widened, (not as bad as the Raptor) they NEED to have the 440 kit , cam, and pipe then they arent under powered, then they will run with the Raptor, but now you have the same money in them and the Raptor still has reverse where as the EX dont, and if your like me I dont want to get off my ride to push, In my book the Raptor has and does everything I want and need, and eveh though I'm the ANCIENT one , I'm still puting it on a moto cross track this weekend , so I can kick some kids's butts [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I hope Iv'e been some kind of help, GOOD LUCK
P.S.
either way I dont think you will regret it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the only butts your gonna be kickin is when your moping the floors up at your work, if i were an old fogey like you i wouldn't bother gettin onto a track with kids, c they have some endurance, and OLD PEOPLE can't keep up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. If i were this dude, i would spend the extra G on a raptor, 400ex's aren't liquid cooled or nething...they are still nice, but i still like raptors more. Thought about a 250r?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys...... bad news: the 2000 400ex (for $3895)sold yesterday.....now there is just the 2001 raptor. I went to a different dealer and they have NEW 2002 400ex's for 5300! I'll still have to pay sales tax, etc - which would bring the total up to $5650. I really notice the seat height is taller on the raptor - hence the worse handling, I suppose. Another couple of questions: The guy who owns the 2001 raptor (for $4895) has a shop and works on atv's. Anyway, he said that for around $100 bucks he could widen the rear wheel stance by 5 inches with hub spacers and could flip the front wheels around to widen the front, too. My question is this: by widening the raptor, will that make it handle as well or close to as well as a 400ex? Also, what are the stock horsepower #'s for each machine. I can't find any technical stats online, but from what I can tell, the raptor has around 35 horsepower stock and the 400ex has around 25 or 26 horsepower stock. Am I right? One last question: Am I better off buying the used 2001 raptor for $4895 and spending the $100 bucks or so to widen it or buying a brand new 2002 400ex for $5300 + $350 tax for a total of $5650? If I buy the used raptor I won't have to pay any sales tax because it would be a private sale! Opinions? Again, thanx.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor Rider: Hey, I noticed that you are from N Idaho. I am assuming that you live in mountain country or close to it. I live in Nebraska, but my wife was originally from Butte Montana. We go up there every June for at least 2 weeks. I usually take off every day with my 4x4 pickup and explore old mining roads, etc. My question for you is this: would I have to rejet a 4 stroke engine to run alright for higher altitudes? I would love to bring my new quad (which ever one I get) up with me this year and go exploring on it. Anyway, from your post it sounded like maybe you did some wilderness/back road exploration in the mountains and I thought maybe you could give me some advice! Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:35 AM
raptor_rider

Ive riden LOTS of 400EX's and your better off with the used Raptor, more power, reverse, and YES more ground clearance, but once its widened it handels BETTER than a EX

I do some riding over the hill from hear (Pinehurst) we start out at about 2500 ft and go to 7000 ft, the Raptor I have is jetted alittle rich , then I run 110 octain race fuel which leans it out alittle, I dont have any problems with it even on top of mount baldie (7000 ft) the only time I have problems is when Im going up a long REAL STEEP hill climb, the carbs dump fuel and I run richer than Bill Gates, get her flat again and its fine
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:39 AM
raptor_rider

P. S.
I just remembered, when I went to my first flat track race I had my Raptor widened with a RPM Dominator +3 rear axle and flipped front rims, and I ran away from a 400EX that was widened and lowered, so just because the Raptor is tall DONT let it fool ya as far as it being tippie
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again Raptor Rider! You are helping out a lot with my decision. I'm very close to getting that 2001 raptor - if they will give me enough for my mx bike on trade I will probably go for it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:53 PM

Go for the Raptor for $4895. I also have a 400EX and would reccomend it if you were a new rider. But it sounds like you have quite a bit of riding expericence under your belt. In this case I think you will be happier with the Raptor.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/sand-sport/index.html>http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/sand-sport/index.html</a>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks dwaters........ I do have about 25 years experience riding. However these last 12 have been almost all on a mx bike. I started out on 3 wheelers, however, and at that time swore I would never ride a bike! Then I switched over to bikes when I was 18. So I am really not used to the feel of a quad yet - especially the king of the hill quad! Still, I have ridden that 2001 raptor on a small dirt track out back of the shop that is selling it and had NO problems - so I am confident the transition would be easy. Again, thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode