86 Quadracer with no spark.. Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 Quadracer with no spark.. Help!

I have a 1986 LT250R quadracer. Last fall as I was getting close to my garage it just died like I had hit the kill switch. Since then I have not been able to get spark. I changed the coil, tried another cdi box that is supposed to be good. The only sign of life I see is when I kick it over the headlight lights up. I have also checked the kill switch, and cleaned up the Stator.
Any ideas?????
Spring is here and I need to ride.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 86 Quadracer with no spark.. Help!

headlight lighting up isn't a sign of spark, have u ran through the wiring to make sure none of the wires are disconnected or broken, checked all the fuses?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 06:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not aware of any fuses on this model. If there are some, I would like to know where they are at. The only reason I mentioned the headlight is because there is no battery, and when I kick it over I can see some life there. I thought this might mean the pick-up coil is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

maybe i am wrong, but isn't their fuses on ALL fourwheelers? Their's got to be a fuse leading to the light, but that at least turns on a bit, just kicking the engine over will generate the energy to light that thing up, your coil could still be weak and not be giving the spark it needs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey have you found the problem yet...? mine doing the samething......just getting no spark..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

any cracks in plug wire?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not got it running yet, but I now suspect it may be my stator. The cover had a crack in it and when I pulled it off, it was full of dust and looked like it had gotten wet. Now if I can only get those 3 screws broke loose I can get a better look at it. The reason I checked this is that I had no continuity at all when I check for ohms between the black red and black white wire coming from the stator.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:41 PM
raptor_rider

sounds like your on the right track, but you need to invest in a impact screw driver
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks! I invested in the impact screw driver, got the bolts out, and I think I found my problem. One of the coils had the ground wire broken off right as it comes out of the coil. It had just enough wire exposed for me to solder it back to the ground. I checked it with the meter, and it test out ok. I will find out this weekend when I put it on and see if I actually get spark. Humm.. If this works, I have a spare CDI box and a spare coil. Probably not a bad thing to keep on the shelf.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:18 AM
raptor_rider

yup,sounds like ya found it, and Ya I would keep the CDI box and coil around for later use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode