what to do when engine gets backed up with water?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

what to do when engine gets backed up with water??

my honda 2002 trx 350 4x4 got stuck in deep water hole and went past the mulffer and got backed up with water ,it had to be towed home by another atv but did take some time but did finally start. I was wondering if i should do anything to it after water got into the engine??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to do when engine gets backed up with water??

Yes, there certainly is something you should do and right away before starting it again.
You need to drain all the oil from the engine and tranny and transfer case if there are separate oil reservoirs. You then need to refill with fresh oil and check for water which you'll no doubt find on the dipstick. You need to keep draining the oil & refilling until no more oil is contaminated with water. After all this, hopefully you'll not have any engine damage. If it were my ride, I'd also pull the wheel bearings, clean and dry them & grease them.
Hereafter, I'd suggest that you get a boat for any further water sports.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:13 AM
raptor_rider

you see to many times poeple water skipping there quads, and getting them stuck in 3 or 4 feet of water and mud, DONT THESE POEPLE REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THERE MACHINE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two summers ago, I played submarine with my 400EX. I didnt know at the time, but water does get into the crank case. What was suppose to be oil in my crankcase, it turned into a grey sludge.
Ive read, under the right conditions, if the cylinder is full of water under load, you can bend the rod.

Knowing what I know now, you wont see me playing submarine anymore.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to do when engine gets backed up with wat

I tryed to cross the Tenn. River after 5 days of rain. I got caught in the current and down the river I went. When I stopped, I sank in 8ft. of water. It took 2 other 4x4's and 20 minutes to get me out. We turned my bike up on it's back tires and pulled all the drain plugs we could find. After the water stopped draining and we cleaned and dryed what we could, I hit the start button. It blew the remained water out and for the next 7 1/2 hours, I continued to blow past my buddys on their honda's and even pulled a few out of the mud pits. After I got home I did drain ALL my fluids and did a total service job. It was as good a new. Make sure you replace you axle dope. Thats easy to forget.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:05 AM
aarcuda

if the cylinder gets full of water then you better remove the plug and turn it over to pump the water out or you could bend a rod (WATER DOESNT COMPRESS)- but first, change the oil- you dont want to pump water thru the oil passages.

then you should check your front and read differentials to make sure water didnt get in there OR just change it anyways. My seals on the axels are leaky so i was changing my diff fluids repeatedly after going thru water.

Going thru deep water is fun- until you get stuck or the motor fills up (I havent had water fill my motor yet but I have been had the motor quit in deep water)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:23 PM
GTA

Alays carry an extra plug! It's also a good idea to carry a tool that removes the oil drain plug. You may have to drop the level down before you ride it back to the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode