Twist vs Thumb Throttles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Twist vs Thumb Throttles

Over the years I have read many horror stories concerning the use of twist throttles on quads. With that in mind, I decided to offer some thoughts that would dispel the idea that twist throttles are meant for bikes only.
I have read many negative posts in various forums regarding twisters wherein the rider complains of inadvertant full throttle openings in rough terrain or landings off jumps.
I'd venture to say that in almost every case the problem lies in poor rider position rather than in the use of a twist throttle. The person is probably riding with his elbows hanging down below the bars ala Harley low rider style and seated back toward the rear of the seat. In this fashion, the throttle is almost certain to open automatically with any shock from rough terrain or hard landing.
Proper agressive riding position is to be seated in the "saddle", just where the seat dips behind the tank. Forearms should be elevated with elbows bent, and wrists should be bent to allow the knuckles to point forward intead of upward. With the arms, elbows, and wrists in this position, it's virtually impossible for the throttle to open accidentally; rather, the throttle would tend to close, if anything. Upper body should be bent slightly forward at the waist. This is called the "attack position" and permits the rider to be in control of the machine, rather than the other way around. The attack position is applicable to any type of quad or bike and with some practice becomes automatic as soon as the rider mounts.
It should be obvious that the seating position must of course, be altered for various circumstances such as cornering, uphills or downhills, standing, etc., but the arms & wrist positions should be the rule in nearly every case in order to maintain control & maximum leverage on the bars.
As for the degree of control with a thumb throttle, here's something to think about: the thumb, which is the strongest digit, is on the throttle button, 1st & 2nd fingers are on the brake lever, that leaves only the 3rd and little finger to control the bar. On the twister, of course, with the index and middle fingers on the brake lever, the thumb, 3rd & little finger control the bar.
Lastly, lest any reader get the idea that twisters are only useful on sport or performance quads,or bikes, I have had one on my KQ since day one as well as on my Raptor, and my Warrior before that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 08:59 PM

Re: Twist vs Thumb Throttles

exactly true..i used to hate twisters but then i rode a quad with one agressivly and i was dude these things frickin rule!! now all my quads have them..but some people just dont get along with them

another theory i have to avoid problems with a twist throttle is to just keep the throttle pinned right against the stop all the time so it just stays open and hence cannot open unexpectanly in rough terrain(:
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 09:31 PM
raptor_rider

Pinned all the time huh? TRY THAT WITH MY RAPTOR AND YOU WILL BE WEARING IT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 09:42 PM
cleartoy

Ive had a twist throttle on all my bikes. 2,3,or 4 wheels. A seasoned rider can ride one with no problem. Like the guy said, seating position makes a difference.

Another thing.....a thumb throttle can be very painful to the thumb. Twist is nice. Caddilac style.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cadillac style. heh . i like that . .. we're ridin .. .cadillac style . .. . . thanks man. . i needed that one
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i love twist throttles on four wheelers, it's great, i ride a dirtbike, but with any sport quad im on, i prefer twist throttle, especially with a two stroke, cuz your on and off the throttle constintly n my thumb gets sore, i prefer twist.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 06:48 PM

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/raptor2001/twistthrottle/index.html>http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/raptor2001/twistthrottle/index.html</a>

I had to the last race ona quad with a thumb throttle. My thumb was going completely knumb during the second lap.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I prefer thumb throttles. In case of a stupid move, I can just let off gas and do a "OH MY GOD GRIP" on the bars.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 10:58 PM
raptor_rider

I'm with you RED, I prefer the thumb throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode