Rebuilt the Warrior and still no compression??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rebuilt the Warrior and still no compression???

Hi everyone I'm back again. I blew a clutch cover gastket while riding in the dunes earlier and baked my top end. Anyway I just got my cylinder back from the machine shop being bored over.020. Rings went in good and tight and all but still not enought compression to turn over. I think that my valves arent seating and that's why no compression, what do you old hands or experienced vet's think? This is my 6th 4 stroke rebuild 2nd on this motor so you can understand my confusion. Thanks. - Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rebuilt the Warrior and still no compression???

r u sure your gaskets are tight? is it timed correctly?? I doubt the timing could b off that bad, b/c if it was, the piston would hit the valves, but if they aren't all the way tight, then like you said, they won't be closing all the way and it wouldn't have the right compression, how are you positive your not gettin the correct compression? Are you also getting spark?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like I said this is the 5th or 6th 4stroke I've done. It's got plenty of spark and the timing is spot on. I could stick my finger in the plug hole with the plug out and it doesn't even try to blow it out when I crank it over. There are no leaks around the gaskets and that was the first place I checked. It seems like the intake valve isn't sealing all the way cause you can see air coming back pretty bad through the carb. - Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 09:34 PM
raptor_rider

if its blowing back thru the carb then you definetly have valve provlems
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't know much about Warriors (although I do know I'd like to have one), but are you sure the valve clearances are set right? If they are too tight, a valve may be "not closing". You did set the valve clearances after rebuild, right? Does a Warrior have a built in compression release for easy starting? That could also be a cause. An old trick I learned from my brother- whenever you have a 4-stroke head off of an engine, turn it upside down and pour gasoline (don't tell OSHA) in the pocket (what else do I call it? the combustion area of the head), let it sit a bit, and look for gas leaking down into the intake or exhaust ports- this gives an indication of how good your valves are. A little leakage is normal, but a constant trickle or flow is not good. Hope you figure it out. Ed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 09:44 PM
raptor_rider

edd has a point, you should check valve adjustment, if they are to tite they will do just what it is doing!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 05:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dude...that's crazy, if your not even getting nething through the spark plug hole...i was gonna talk about em being too tight and not closing all the way, but they already did, that is what my XR did, and spent quite awhile tryin to start it b4 i had to take it apart again and c what it was...dang, i put way to much money into that thing, just curious, how much have you spent in the rebuild of your warrior? I have close to $600 all together to rebuild my XR....omg that's TOO much.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just an update for all that contributed info... I have a cracked rocker arm on the exhaust valve. I ordered new parts and they will be in on Wed. Thanks again - Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode