diesel ATV's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

diesel ATV\'s?

Hi All - I'm looking for models/specs for diesel ATV's - a friend and I are planning on heading up north on an extended run, and would like to get a couple of ATV's to 'play' on rather than risking our main trucks. seeing as both our rigs are diesel, and I've heard of diesel atv's, seems like it would simply our fuel situation to go that route. so - never having owned an ATV, Im curous as to what models are out there, prices, etc...'performance' isnt a real issue - these will be used in more of a utility fashion, but 4wd,is a must, and a PTO option would be great. Anyone got one, know the models well, etc?

CTIA
Chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: diesel ATV\'s?

Check out the Polaris 2001 website...They have one (that I know of) diesel ATV....I heard that the things are somewhat limited though - they apparently dont like cold weather too much...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:43 PM
adam728

They don't like cold weather too much, and they are underpowered. They weigh about 60 pounds more than a standard Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O., which feels like it makes twice the power. That, and there is the aweful "is a piston about to shoot through my leg?" noise that they make. I know diesels are noisy, but that noise between your legs is downright frightning. They have since dropped the Diesel quad from their lineup, basically because it sucked. Good idea on paper, not so good in the real world.

I would stick with a more "normal" quad. My favorite utility quad is the Sportsman 500 H.O. . They ride nice, have plenty of power, and are pretty fun when pushed, even for a big utility quad. The 700 Twin is too heavy, and the 400 feels like it has about 1/2 the power (and is that way in drag runs and hill climbs too). To me Yamaha's Grizzly is just a lot less of a joy to ride. Works great, but isn't as fun to play with.

By the way, I am probably way biased cause I work at a Polaris dealership. The above is my honest opinions though.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

nuts - there goes the 'easy' quad idea ! we've been figuring fuel loads, and as we'd first guessed, carrying an extra type of fuel just isnt gonna cut it ( going way north, so 'topping up a jerry can' isnt an option!). Blah.

power & noise dont bother me - I'm used to diesels, and know how to get rid of those: what sort of 'cold weather problems' do these engines suffer from? ( overcooling, poor starting, or actual mechanical tolerance problems??)

chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:01 AM

how far up into nowhere are you going? You are making it sound like you are trekking to the North pole....if you have a good 4x4 util atv...you will not need a trailor just for fuel....We can run on modified banshees, dirtbikes, and raptors on 3 6 gallon cans and have fuel left over most of the time...and we run constantly...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

umm - if the run works out as intended, we're actually not going to be all that far from the pole: what we'll be doing is a 3 seas run, starting from Vancouver in late Sept, and running to Nova Scotia. coming back, we'll be turning N in Alberta in mid Oct, and hanging out around great slave lake before connecting up with a supply convoy heading up the Mackenzie ice road to tuktoyuktuk. timing is a bit vague for the later part, as we'll have to wait for the ice-road to open, but its usually OK for light loads by Mid Nov...while we have places to stop ( the convoy is an O&G supply outfit, and will be stopping at a number of camps enroute), we'll HAVE to carry fuel to get ourselves back out from any point, as there's NO fuel available for private purchase at those stops.

Space ( and weight) is an issue becuase of the other gear we're taking, and the fact that we'll be using mini SUV's, and small support trailers. If the quads share fuel type with the SUV's, thats fine, plus diesel goes farther...carrying 6-8 jerry cans per rig as reserves for 2 seperate fuel types just isnt an option.

chris

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:38 AM

ok i did not mean 3 6 gallon tanks per machine...i meant 3-6 gallonn cans for a decent weekend of running....
as far as the extra jerry cans...and space reason....i understand...and sounds like a hell of a trek....Good Luck

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

LOL - not quite what you were expecting? My buddy and I both work up north, and have eyeballed most of this run from flights in to wellsites, talking to the ice-road crews, etc - we've just never done the whole run, in our own rigs.

gonna be somehting of an conversation-piece trip, if nothing else 8^D

Chris

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:58 AM
adam728

They are just really cold blooded. Hard to start, and takes forever to warm up (stall constantly while cold). If weight is a factor, well, the extra weight of the diesil quad probably outweighs the fewer fuel cans you have to carry.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

yah - I'd better clarify that a bit: 50-100 lbs in the quad wont make a bit of difference - it'll be centered between the trailer wheels, and sit fairly low. Jerry cans, on the other hand, will end up being slung where-ever I can fit them, which genreally means either on the roof, or on the outside of the trailer. either of those locations will tend to screw up my balance, which tend to be a bit of a problem with a rig that lieks side-hills, and is going to be drivng 4000+ km on ice roads.

Seperate issue - anyone in N.America ever heard of a GHL quad? http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/quads/ghl.shtml The quad at the bottom of the page is powered by a 2 cylinder Perkins diesel. Opinions?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode