Buying 1st ATV, need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buying 1st ATV, need advice

I'm about to purchase my first 4WD ATV. Looking at Arctic Cat 500i auto, Yama Grizzly 660 4X4, Polaris 500 4WD, Kawa twin 4WD. Is independant rear suspension a good thing? I will use for mostly recreation riding, but will also plow D/W, haul firewood, etc. $$ not an issue. I think twin cylinder engine is a good thing (KAWA), any comments? I feel Arctic Cat is a good choice, seems rugged and capable. Not into 'speed', prefer 4WD ability, long range, reliability. All comments welcome. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Buying 1st ATV, need advice

I checked out both the Grizzly and the AC 500i today. The AC seems to be a little stouter than the yamaha. Dealer is going to throw in a winch w/the AC, still cheaper than the yamaha. I'm considering the auto AC instead of the geared model - any comments?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:59 PM

i would offer my suggestions...but i dont believe I could give accurate ones beins i do not ride 4x4 machines....i am a yamaha boy...so i would go grizzly...but i would also tell the dealer...about the offer AC is giving you...they may do something similar...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm prolly biased, being an Arctic Cat dealer. .but i've ridden damned near every kinda machine, and istill prefer the Cat. I own a yamaha myself, but im driving a 375 auto Cat right now.. The 2/4 wheel drive selection is awesome, almost a must when buying a new machine . the auto tranny in the cats is quite impressive. I was never a fan of the whole automatic idea, but since i;ve been using the 375 as my own for hte last month or so . . I've become quite fond of it, especially in the snow. Just point and gas.. We had two 500i's at the shop, an auto and a manual shift. We put 28" mudzillas on the manual shift, and she was unstoppable . I never got to play wit the auto much, because it was sold when we got it. But i know the guy that bought it, and he has nothing but praise for it. He was using it to haul wood this winter. And of course as a play bike . Just my opinion, the cat is great. And even if u get her stuck, that 2500 lb winch he's throwin in will get u outta there for sure..

Evan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-699822-Zlan1.jpg (58.1 KB, 30 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:58 PM
GTA

I would question why they have to give away a winch to sell the quads. I looked ACs. They seem to be a big heavy tank. Probably indestructable though. Just might be a little to much of a workhorse for rec riding.

Go big or Go home!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, they didnt HAVE to throw in the winch...The manufacturer is offering $500 in free accessories with new purchase...I chose the 2500# Warn winch, with roller fairlead (installed)...Yes, I bought the Cat today (500i auto) and will post again when I have some time in the saddle..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like he said .they don't have to give away the winch. . The way it worked at my dealership this year, is the manufacturer gave $400 cat cash. . . which u could spend towards accessories, and the winch kit (2500lb) was $99 ,, or $149 installed.. Congrats on the new machine man. Let us know how it works out for you.!

Evan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode