Just getting started - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just getting started

I have never owned an ATV, but I am looking for something to get me where my truck just can't go. I am thinking about more of a utility atv rather than a sport one. I am looking for reliability and comfort more then speed. I already broke my neck once, I'm not in a hurry to do it again. What are your suggestions? Best company? most reliable? safest?

I've tried to do online research, but I figured I would get better info from real people. Thanks for your imput.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just getting started

Today I think they all make a pretty good machine. That said however I think the hondas are by far the most reliable,durable and low maintenence rides out there--especially if you want one a little older. The utility models like the foreman, rancher dont have as comfortable of a suspension as like the polaris sportsman but are a lot lighter (try to dig a sportsman out of the mud once) and a simpler design for fewer problems down the road. If you go utility 4 wheel drive is a must I have had both and its worth the extra money! Sure you get guys that say you dont need it and they can do anything with thier 2 wheel drive a 4 wheel drive can do but its really just big talk, if they could afford 4x4 theyd have it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 06:46 PM

I've owned my 450es for a year now and it has been a great machine!
It hauls all my firewood, plows my driveway, hauls the boat & trailers around..... and I can still go play when the boys come by. Speed....well, you eat some dust on the staights but you'll always be on the pulling end of the rope when the trail gets fun.
I ride regularly, most times daily, with all makes and yes they all are pretty good, but I like my Honda!
R.

I live in the land of ice & snow
Where my Cherokees run in FORTY BELOW !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys. I just went to a dealer that sold every make of ATV and I couldn't get him away from the Suzuki Eiger 400. Any thought?
I'm going to head to the Honda dealer now and see what they have to say.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wellll... hhm is money a big factor in this? if not, than go with a biggin, i like the yamahas 600 power, and if ya act childish on the streets, it will pull a wheeley, and make tha back end slide around! I LOVE THAT FEELING, and its surprising to see it with me on there, and a lady!!

Put on your seatbelt... I wanna try something.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BrooksDakota

I too am new to 4 wheeling. I have owned a Honda 185 3 wheeler for years and even though it takes tinkering to keep it running, it just won't die. My hunting buddy showed up with a Honda Rancher 4x4 350 ES (Electronic Shift on the handle bar). I was so impressed I had to have one.

I however, wanted 2W and 4W drive so I went with a Honda Foreman S 450 2x4. It is an incredible machine. As was mentioned earlier, get 4x4 no matter what. I leave mine in 2 wheele until I need 4x. And I find I can "get" myself stuck pretty easy in 2x. Switch over to 4 by and she crawls right out. Sure, you can be carefull and avoid all the fun spots like mud holes, deep ruts, loose sandy creeks and the like and not get stuck with only 2 wheel drive. But you are also avoiding the fun that comes from taking on those spots.

I have 12 hours on mine so far and my friends has over 20. No problems and both are great fun. Top end of 45 to 50 on flat surface. In the thick stuff they both push right on through. His 350 RancherES 4x4 was $4999, my Foreman S 450 was $5700. GET A WINCH ALSO. You can pick up a three wheeler and move it out of a whole. You will not be manhandling one of the 4x4 600 pound bruts out of a mud whole. $450 installed for a Warn 2000 pound winch will pay for it self the first time you get stuck. And yes, me and my friend have already winched each other out of some sticky situations several times each already. But then again, we hits spots everyone else avoids. The path less traveled you know....

I hear nothing but good things about Honda. Their engines have the best reputation for reliability. I may be biased, but give Honda a good look. I could not be happier with the guality, fit, finish and performance of the Rancher and my Foreman.

Let us know what you get.

Good luck.....David

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:43 PM

Good to hear something about the 2002 Foreman. Been thinking of one for the wife & the 2/4whl on the 2002 sounds like a good deal.
We are also a Honda dealer were I work & we haven't taken one out of a crate yet to check it out. Can't wait.
I like being able to put my feet up dry on the fenders when running miles of swamp.That's one of the reasons I have a ES.
R.

I live in the land of ice & snow
Where my Cherokees run in FORTY BELOW !!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

nwt

The 2002 Foreman S 450 is great. I upstaged my buddies Rancher 350 4x4 and now he's doing upgrades to try to keep up with my Foreman. He has about the same top speed but I get him in the sand and thick muddy stuff with the torgue of the 450. He hates that I can run around in 2x and turn donutes and fishtails at will in 2x when he cannot in 4x. He already ordered 26" Mud Monsters and the Detroit Un-Locker to become more like my Foreman.

I like his ES but I don't go through much deep water so the foot shifter is fine for me. I like the foot shifter better. Without the ES it is also one less component to possibly give troubles.

Put a Foreman on your flood and let the folks see what it's like to be able to switch at will 2 to 4 to 2 wheele anytime they want. It really makes all the difference in the world.

David

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:25 AM
raptor_rider

my dad has a polairis 500HO Sportsman, he loves it , he has a bad back and with the McFearson strut suspention, he says it rides like a cad.
I have riden the Yamaha 660 Grizzly, felt to heavy to me (but I'm used to my sports quads)do your self a favor and ride as many as you can before buying , there are alot out ther , they are ALL just about the same as far as dependability (how well YOU take care of it) but they ALL ride and feel dif. so ride as many as you can!!!

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode