BANSHEE PLEASE REPLY SOON - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

BANSHEE PLEASE REPLY SOON

well i had a warm day so i started taking the banshee apart today. i was draining the coolant (what a mess! coolant all over my pants. why do the drains have to be on the side of the cylenders?!) when i had all the coolNT DRained there was only about a quart drained out (not counting what got all over my pants and the floor) the radiator was empty, the over flow however wasnt. a vast majority of what drained out came out of the right side, barely any came from the left side, coincidentaly the left side is the side that has barley any compression. now each side should be effected by the other draining because they are separate right? and the same about should be in each jug correct? so then why was barley any in the left side? she did go up in a bunch of white smoke when she blew so im thinking the head gasket on the left blew and blew a bunch of the fluid in the jug with it. make sense? anyhow im going to rip the engine apart tomorrow to see whats up. what should i look for/check/do when im taking it apart?

another question...my dad thinks that i should use "gasket in a tube" which is some goop that is used instead of a gasket. now i have never heard of anything like this being used on a 2 stroke atv, always just heard of normal gaskets being used..so what is the answer to this??

thanks for all the help guys! im thinking while im rebuilding it i might as well sink a grand in parts into it and make it nice right?

<font color=blue>I ride a Banshee. Fear me.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>broken 89 Banshee</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>98 Warrior</font color=blue>
<font color=red>95 300ex</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:27 PM
cleartoy

Re: BANSHEE PLEASE REPLY SOON

I think you hit the nail on the head. Since one side may have a blown head gasket, less coolant drained out.

Use a factory head gasket if you have a factory head.

Once you get it reassembled, check for cylinder leak down PSI. If your seals on the bottom end are shot, your engine will run lean, and blow a top end again. I know cuz it happened to me repeatedly.

-cleartoy
85 xtracab 4x4(FOR SALE)
94 std cab 2wd
99 YZ250
Got sand?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

alright thanks alot man.

<font color=blue>89 Banshee</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

ok i took the head of today and the cylenders and pistons looked fine the cylender walls wernt scrathed or scoared and the pistons didnt have holes in em or anything. however the head on the left side was all pitted and gross looking. so i took it to my dealer and asked him about it and he said that it looked like it ate a ring at one time but it looked like it had been polished out and that it wouldnt affect anything. so is he right?

also if the head gasket was bad how would i tell? there didnt look like any places when stuff could be blowing out. the whole thing was just all black. now it it isnt the head gasket anfd the engine looked fine that has to mean it just needs new rings right? the number stamped on the pistons was 69 so these are mother effing big pistons. is it gonna be hard to find rings for these? thanks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In reguards to your pistons being of the size 69 that stands for the mm, if im not mistaken ur shee has been bored .40 over. Its shouldn't be hard to find the rings for them. I know for sure the dennis kirk will have them and sell for about $32 www.denniskirk.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:39 AM
cleartoy

Ive pitted 3 different stock heads on my ol Banshee. They are about $140 from the local dealer, then i went to PD head.

I would get another head, stock or aftermarket, to avoid pre detonation. I havent seen the head, but little nibbles of metal will ignite at the wrong time and make it run hot.

Those are HUGE pistons. Stock is 64mm. I know that once i put .060" pistons in mine, it always overheated, despite the Toomey rad, PD stainless pump, Cool head.

Contact Wiseco for rings, or a distributor of them.

-cleartoy
85 xtracab 4x4(FOR SALE)
94 std cab 2wd
99 YZ250
Got sand?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

yeah i know those are huge effing pistons. there is barly room for the studs the sleeves actually have indents in them so the studs can pass through..is it possible to desleeve it so it isnt so big or would i have to get new cylenders? ive always been kinda worried about this huge bore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode