Off Roading Forums banner

Gearing down

1K views 12 replies 1 participant last post by  raptor_rider 
G
#1 ·
Has anyone heard or experienced going down one tooth on the front sprocket of the 2001 Raptor? I was unable to find anyone that sells a 12 tooth front sprocket. Everything is 13 or more. If you have found one, how does it work?

Yaaah they come to Roost the Rooster oh yaaah, yaaah but he ain't goanna die, he rides the Raptor yah, OH Yaaaaaaah, and he is goanna fly.

G
#3 ·
We have them at work, we get them through parts unlimited, thats our aftermarket pats resource. $13 for a sunstar, or a JT. Also, I do belive that the raptor and banshee front sprockets interchange with eachother, so just order a 12 tooth banshee coutershaft sprocket.

Kyle

------------
Yamaha Tech
------------
'01 Modified Banshee
'83 GMC 1500 4X4

#4 ·
why do you want to goto a 12 tooth sprocket? do you realize the additional wear you will put on the chain?

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

G
#5 ·
I read some were it closes the gap between 1st and 2nd gear. For trail riding this has plenty of top end so I figured I could aford to loose some. I would like to hear from someone who tried it to get there opinion.

Yaaah they come to Roost the Rooster oh yaaah, yaaah but he ain't goanna die, he rides the Raptor yah, OH Yaaaaaaah, and he is goanna fly.

G
#6 ·
Many riders have gone to a 12 tooth c/s sprocket but I certainly would not do it myself. For one thing, it imposes unnecessary strain on both the countershaft and the chain due to the extreme bend the chain must endure in going around the smaller circumference. Your reason for doing so I think is flawed. I can't see how running a shorter 1st gear will do anything about the gap between the 2 lower gears as the difference will remain more or less the same. The answer is in altering the tranny itself, which is one of the changes made in the 2002 models. However if you're determined to do it, I believe the YZ250 bike uses the same c/s sprocket as the Raptor and should be available.

WANT TO KEEP YOUR RIDING AREAS OPEN? JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION ONLINE @ www.sharetrails.org
"When in doubt, gas it!"

G
#7 ·
I believe that changing the front from a 13 tooth to a 12 tooth will change the spacing between 1st and 2nd, but it will widen it and not shorten it.

Since final gear ratio in any gear is dependant upon your sprocket ratio times your gear ratio (1st or 2nd gear for example), then changing the sprockets to get a lower gear (higher numerically) will widen the tru final ratio (i.e. the gear ratio of 1st gear X sprocket ratio versus 2nd gear X sprocket ratio) slightly (maybe by 10 percent). or did I screw up the calculation?

G
#8 ·
You are right that lowering the gearing (giving top speed for more acceleration) will make the gears "closer" together. They really are the same, but since the bike will be able to pull second harder than before it is like haveing a closer spaced tranny.

Anyone here ever driven a lifted truck with big tires and no gearing change? That is what higher gearing will do. The gap between gears seems huge, you lose much more RPM at shifts than normal, and it makes it much harder to pull.

Anyway, I would not goto a 12 tooth front sprocket to accomplish this though. A tooth on the front is equal to 2-3 on the back, and really is a HUGE difference. Plus your chain will be strained more and wear itself and the sprockets much quicker. I suggest trying to go 1 tooth larger on the rear sprocket, 2 at most. This will be a very noticable difference from stock. With my old dirt bike I went 1 tooth bigger on the rear and definitly noticed more sand-pulling power, but I lost about 4 mph top end.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!

G
#10 ·
I piped, jetted,and modified the air box, so I have almost 50 horse, and I DID NOT change gears, I dont feel any gap, I have all the power I need, even in the sand, were you feel the power lose more than anywhere else, but If I were going to change gear ratio, I would go 2 teeth bigger on the rear NOT smaller in the front

Ride hard, Lifes short

G
#11 ·
The problem with that you loose ground clearance in the rear and the Raptor can't afford to give any more up.

#12 ·
have you measured a sprocket with one that has 2 extra teeth? there is a hair of a difference....and besides...ground clearance on a raptor is not that bad...sheeesh...im a big guy and i have only once rapped her on a rock....unless you are making that sprocket almost the size of the rim...you do not need worry....2 more on back sprocket is wiser...but on the early model raptors...piping it takes away that infamous gap of 1st n 2nd....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.