Need advice for beginners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need advice for beginners

My boys (12 and 13) are wanting 4wheelers. They are inexperienced, only been on a few friends. They have been looking around, and we are wanting to know something about the Suzuki quadrunner LT-F160 or the E-ton Yukon YXL-150. Are these any good? Which would you recommend? We have a farm and are wanting something for fun and a little work. Please any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice for beginners

300 and 400ex

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the kids are 12 and 13, i don't think u want a 12 or 13 year old to be riding a 400Ex as his first atv. a 300 would be by far enuf power for the 13 year old. my first atv was a little lt-80 but that was at the age of 4 or 5 by the time i was 12 or 13 i was riding the kaw bayou 220, very nice quad to start off with if u want to do a little work and rec. riding

'99 Chevy Tahoe Sport with hypertech, hotchkis sway bars, air raid intake, and flowmaster race muffler.
'89 Chevy K-5 Blazer (fullsize) stick, custom paint, 33" BFG A/T KO, flowmaster race muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 01:15 AM
raptor_rider

I'm thinking of the Honda 250EX , its a 250cc four stroke (so its not a hot rod, yet it has power enough for an adult)
It has an electric starter, It has reverse, and for the beginner, it has an automatic clutch, It is a Honda four stroke so it has one of the BEST track records for dependability that there is!!! Good luck with your decision

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have them learn w/ a manual clutch. 300ex for the older 1 and a or maybe a blaster

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 10:40 PM

I am thinking the Yamaha Blaster or the Honda 250EX...They are both good machines, I like the blaster because for an adult...it is light enough where you can throw it around and enjoy it a bit as well...yet it is easy for a kid to ride....hell I am 6'1" 300 pounds and we have one that I love to ride occasionally....pulling wheelies and riding them forever is easy as pie

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 08:12 AM
GTA

Honda 250EX all the way.

Go big or Go home!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a new idea...since you said you wanted something to use both for work & for pleasure, why not think about a utility quad for the former and a sport quad for the latter? The boys could then change off as they wished or as the occasion demands. If you're pretty much sold on the
suzuki as a utility, you might want to think more about the 250 rather than the 160. The 250 has the same tranny options as the 300 King Quad..that is a 5 spd tranny with two sub trannys, differential lock, 2 or 4 w.d., an ideal work horse.
As for the sport question, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Warrior, a proven design & a 4 stroke.
depending on the boys' size it should be quite tractable and with the throttle limiter, could be adjusted to their skill level to start with. Another benifit would be to the old man as a fun ride when the work is done.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

WANT TO KEEP YOUR RIDING AREAS OPEN? JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION ONLINE @ www.sharetrails.org
<font color=red> "When in doubt, gas it!"</font color=red>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

utility quads have too much stuff to break on them

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go for the 250EX, as I bought a 300EX for my 11 year old and it didn`t take long for me figure out that with the manual trans. combined with the spirited throttle it doesn`t take a big mistake to end up on your back side. You might even consider a Polairs Trailblazer(250) or Trailboss(325).These are fully automatic quads that are real fun. That what i decided on for my son(Trailblazer 250) I`m about 5`10" @275 lbs and this quad works real well with me on it.There`s my 2 cents worth.

ride it like it owes you money

1996 300EX, 2001 Trailblazer 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode