smoke at startup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

smoke at startup

I've got a 84 TRX200 and when I start it up, the thing SMOKES for about 2 minutes then stops. Did I mention that it smokes? I mean a thickass cloud of smoke that you have to walk away from coughing and waving your arms. You look back, and the quad is in there somewhere, because you can hear it running, type smoke. 2 minutes later, it's all cleared up and won't smoke after that while it's running.

What is it that is causing this?

I tried giving the head bolts a little tweak, but that didn't help. Could it be the valve seals?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: smoke at startup

sounds like you are getting alot of oil sitting in the cylinder when it sits there....I would maybe think rings...check compression and see what that is...make sure that is where it is sposed to be...this one has me kinda stumped yet I have seen it before...I will work on this and see if I can come up with more ideas

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the valve seales or something that has to do w/ the valve guides. replace the valve seales

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 04:00 PM
GTA

I know with car engines this is caused by oil seeping passed the valve seals. I'm not sure how much oil gets above them on that quad, but it's probably the same thing. I would expect if it were the rings, it would never stop smoking and would down on power. How long does it have to sit before it happens again?

Go big or Go home!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 06:45 PM

u r correct 99% of the time when the rings allow bypass it is constant...I was kinda throwin thoughts into the wind....and yes valve seals is what i was thinkin...just wasnt able to put it into words...oh well next time ill shush..heh....but if the valves are leakin i would check rings and compression too....

AirBorn!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 12:29 AM
raptor_rider

I'm thinking , valves seals also, to verify it , pull the plug, look at were the oil is, if its only on one side it IS the seals, if you are going to replace them MAKE SURE YOU CHECK FOR WORN OUT GUIDES

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, thanks guys.

I know, I was thinking maybe valve seals, but then I thought that if the seals were sitting atop the guides, wouldn't they be out of the oil when it sat? But maybe not. Some how it's getting in there.

To answer one of the questions, it has to sit for a while, like over 3-4 hours. In 3-4 hours, it's cold enough to have to use the choke to start it up again, but it doesn't smoke.

If I was going to do the seals, I was going to try the compressed air in the sparkplug hole trick to avoid taking off the top end. That would make it hard to check the guides, wouldn't it? I'd be more inclined to leave it smoke then take the top end off because I took the top off another trx200 I have and it hasn't run since [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I don't know if I didn't get the chain on the right tooth or what, but what a pain in the @ss. Anyway, how long would new seals last if the guides were a little loose?

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll try to get an adapter for the compression guage I have. The sparkplug hole doesn't fit any of the things I have for the guage. Any ideas on finding the right adapter for the guage?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 01:28 AM
raptor_rider

With valve stem sealsyou usualy have to wait over night for the oil to run down the valve stem and past the seat(or at least on it) before it will smoke real bad

If you put new seals on valves with worn out guides you may slow it down alittle (pending on the condition of the guides)

Even with the air holding the valve up in the hole , you should be able to feel the valve flopping in the guide if its worn out, but if you are doing one at a time (like you should) you can , after removal of the spring, hold the valve and disconect the air to feel the guide then conect air again right away

As far as a tool , you could use a old spark plug , hollow it out, braze an air fitting on to it and you have it

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 10:32 PM

Raptor hit it on the head....however I would do it right if I am going to put forth the effort...and replace the guides at the same time...just make sure ya mark everything...

AirBorn!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode