Raptor front sprocket toasted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor front sprocket toasted

Hey you Raptor riders has anyone went through a front sprocket yet? My Raptor is a year old and last weekend I went on an intense ride with a friend of mine that has a tricked out 400EX. We pounded the trails hard but when I got home and was washing the Raptor off I noticed that my front sprocket was almost as round as a quarter? I never noticed it slipping and I always keep my chain tension adjusted properly. Just curious if anyone else went through one as well? My chain and back sprocket are like new. P.S. My friend with the 400EX that is a better rider than me said reluctantly that he had a real problem keeping up even in the tight woods of Black River Falls. He said on the occasional half mile open stretches he couldn't even see me ahead of him. Just bragging because now I can.

Yaaah they come to Roost the Rooster oh yaaah, yaaah but he ain't goanna die, he rides the Raptor yah, OH Yaaaaaaah, and he is goanna fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 08:11 PM

Re: Raptor front sprocket toasted

the reason a front sprocket pukes out like that is because the chain is either too tight...too loose...or is adjusted to where there is an angle to the chain...oddly enough, the chain needs to have more tension in it then most people think...allow there to be more tension then you may think, because when you add weight to the seat, it picks up the looseness of the chain.

I have seen this on a few machines...not on a raptor as of yet.

the trails at black river falls were not bad trails, although they were not tight like i had hoped. Alot of them were more wide open and too many straight aways...
I am planning on taking another weekend run there this summer....

good luck!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 01:08 AM
raptor_rider

I have to go with Airborn on this one , Maybe your chain was to tight , I havent had any problems with mine , it still looks new

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you read my post I stated that I was on top of the correct chain adjustment.
If you read your reply you say I should keep the chain tight so when you sit on it, it get tighter? I'm confused.

Yaaah they come to Roost the Rooster oh yaaah, yaaah but he ain't goanna die, he rides the Raptor yah, OH Yaaaaaaah, and he is goanna fly.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 01:06 PM

well obviously you are not on top of the correct chain adjustment, because if you were this wouldnt be an issue. Unless you have a defective front sprocket...which is highly doubtful.

A machine with no one sitting on it should have play in the chain, because when you sit on the machine it will tighten the chain more. There should be a little excessive play when there is no weight on the machine.

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode