2-stroke v. 4-stroke - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

2-stroke v. 4-stroke

OK, I have to do this...im gonna get flamed and i just dont care...
I have issues with how alot of people (note i did not say all) continue to over and over say how a 2 stroke is soooo much more maintainence then a 4 stroke. If people sit down and think about it, yes there is a SLIGHT difference, but not too much.

NOTE: This is based on a 2stroke that is not in need of serious work prior to riding.

2stroke basics:
1. tire pressure
2. greasing fittings
3. oil changes
4. semi-annual torque fests
5. spark plug changes
6. oil/fuel mixture
7. annual tune up (THIS will consist of more work)

4 stroke basics:
1. tire pressure
2. greasing fittings
3. oil changes
4. semi-annual torque fests
5. spark plug changes
6. annual tune up

now i know i am missing things...but sheeesh yall...look at the basics...there is as much maintainence on a 4 stroke...its just masked is all...

sure...many people change the oil in a 2 stroke alot more then they should...but it should be seen that it always will vary on who is riding, what they are ridingm and HOW they are riding...

*putting on the flame retardent suit now*

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 01:19 AM
raptor_rider

Re: 2-stroke v. 4-stroke

OK, I'm game to play in this little flame throwing contest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but they wont be thrown at you Airborn, I agree with you, I have 5-2 stroke quads OK 4 and a oddesy (5 two smokers)and one 4 stroker (Raptor) when we get done riding we wash ALL of them , then lube the chains on ALL of them, lube ALL of them, and as Airborn sais Tourque fest every once in a while on ALL of them, then when getting ready to ride we check and/or clean air filters on ALL of them , perioticaly change oil on ALL of them check air pressure on ALL of them check chain adjustment on ALL of them, YUP, 4 strokers are less work than 2 strokers

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

thank you raptor...finally someone that agrees with me...this has been like a bad rash on...well..nevermind....you know what i mean...everytime i see someone say a 2 stroke is so much more work then a 4 stroke i just cringe and my skin crawls....so i had to do it....u know...heh...

AirBorn!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 08:47 AM
cleartoy

Valve adjustments must fall under annual tune up. How is it on the 5 valve head Raptor?

-cleartoy
85 xtracab 4x4(FOR SALE)
94 std cab 2wd
99 YZ250
Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You got to it b4 me cleartoy, i watched my friend do that to his raptor...not a fun thing to hang around while he is doing...it took him quite a while, pretty soon, he got them to where he wanted them n just rode, got fed up, lol.

<font color=red>it's ALL good</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah really no more work to be done on the 2 strokes then the 4. some people make a great deal about it but thats them..... some more things u have to watch out for on a 2 stroke then a 4 but all is good (like fuel to oil ratio, if not injected, and the reeds) but there is not so much of a difference that will kill someone to do. hell i would do all that work to get the powerband from the 2 strokes.

'99 Chevy Tahoe Sport with hypertech, hotchkis sway bars, air raid intake, and flowmaster race muffler.
'89 Chevy K-5 Blazer (fullsize) stick, custom paint, 33" BFG A/T KO, flowmaster race muffler
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im gonna be gettin a banshee. this PO is a know nothing so im sure im in for a rebuild... still would be the same as if were buyin a 4 stroke though...

i love 2 stroke... just look how long ive waited to get one... I CANT WAIT to go to WAYNOKA!!!! snake hunt... anyone else here goin? later

Put on your seatbelt... I wanna try something.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 01:23 AM
raptor_rider

your right Cleartoy I forgot the Valve adjust. well to tell you the truth I have had mine done twice it the little over a year Iv'e had mine , and I took it to Yamaha for that so I dont know how hard it is , but it was only (with oil change) around $65.00 so I dont think it was that hard

Airborn, I think what every one who says a two stroke need more maintainance means , is you have to rebuild them more often, thats the only thing I can think of, cause if your really paying att. to your ride they are pretty much the same thing other than you dont rebuild a 4 stroke every other year like a 2 stroke

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

but that is also a misconception....a 2 stroke does not have to be rebuilt as often as people say either. There are so many people that think a 2 stroke has to be rebuilt at least once a year...man I have not touched the top end of the shee, other then to test for play...and my other bikes, did not have to touch much...the only time you need to is when the compression slides down the scale and you start loosing what it has....

AirBorn!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode