Off Roading Forums banner

20 HR service check up for new Honda ATV RECON?

3K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have purchased a new honda atv recon es. As I was getting ready to take it out the door the sales persons mentioned a 20 hr tune up needed for the atv at a cost of $180 with replacment parts extra. Now I know I have 6 month warranty, that is standard for Honda ATV. Can anyone shed some light as to what this 20 hr service thing really is. I'm new to ATV's so this was my first purchase and love the ATV. Any information is greatly appreciated..

G
#2 ·
Prolly nothing more then a oil change and filter change with maybe some carb tunning but even that is doubtfull. Just got my z's and after 10 hours they need there oil and oil filter changed but thats it. You also need to check all your nuts on the machine, but thats just standard practice to most riders imo. I allways inspect my machine's. Dont want no tire comming of at 60mph+
. lol

#3 ·
do it man, it is expensive, but do it, after breaking in your machine (riding it lightly in low rpms) and babying it after 20 hours bring it back and they do a full check up, really to adjsut the vavles, i would definetly do it becasue it could save your quad, they adjust lots of things and do a full check up, then about every 4 gas tank fulls do your own maitnence

G
#4 ·
Hey I just purchased a 03' Z400 and they want 300 bucks for a ten hour service. they said they check the top end of the bike and adjust the valves i can change the oil and all but does 300 bucks sound lie a lot? and after that for every 4 or 5 tanks of gas I do my own check ups what does that include besides changin oil and lube and tighting things down thanks for the help guys.

G
#5 ·
Thats interesting they didnt tell me anything like that. They told me to change the oil after ten hours half throtle. The worse thing is i think they do need those things checked after break in. Even worse is i know the people who own the place i got myne and yet they told me no such thing. I rather have them do there service then not have it done. And i have herd it should be around 300 for these z's. Not positive though. *Shrugs*

#6 ·
the first check-up is the most important to do, 300$ however is alot of moeny, mine cost like 170 for all the goodies and work, then everyother check up from there is like 90, but i do my own check-ups except when i need to adjust valves and all that hard crap, good to know one of my vlaves was burnt, (my falt
) but she woke up when i got it back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.