Off Roading Forums banner

8.8" LSD pinion shaft

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  muddybronco 
#1 ·
8.8\" LSD pinion shaft

i took the lockpin out and rotated carrier 180° and the shaft didnt just fall out in my lap like Haynes would lead me to believe... what am i doing wrong? the side/pinion gears are chipped pretty badly, would that make a difference? i found pieces of them in the bottom of the housing
do I have to do something special for the LSD carrier? btw, a leaky passenger side seal prompted this, are there any tricks to changing those seals or is it straightforward? grrrr

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 8.8\" LSD pinion shaft

you removed the bolt correct? the whole bolt? the bolt goes way past where the threads are and have a tendency to break right at the end of the threads. sounds like that could be your problem. if the whole bolt came out give the thing a pound through from the other side as its propablly getting hung up on the scratches in the shaft from the busted up spiders.

#3 ·

yeah, the whole bolt came out. probably just needs a tap. also, can i reuse the lockbolt? Haynes said some kinds have to be replaced, but wont it be ok with some loctite? time for a 1 ton, these inner gears are ate up!

when i'm done fu**ing with this axle, somebody better get over here and

#4 ·

Haynes said some kinds have to be replaced, but wont it be ok with some loctite?
Is that a "torque to yeild" type bolt?
If that's the case, it should be replaced.
(I know, they're generally head bolts, but ya never know.)

Sounds like with the amount of people that have broken that bolt, a new one would be cheap insurance.

Got in mud....lately?

#5 ·

ok, got that [bleep] out, now how does this mother umping wheel bearing come out? i've successfully sent the inner cage, rollers, and part of the seal into outer space using autozone's loaner slide/2jaw puller, but i cant seem to get the outer cage out. is there a ledge behind the bearing thats part of the housing? cuz i've been sliding HARD but the damn thing wont budge, so i think i'm pulling the wrong thing? it's weird, because it almost looks like the seal is part of the outer bearing race, does such a thing exist? my replacements arent like that. this sucks, why cant anything be easy? grrrrrr i'm done for tonight, my friend has 36 pilsners to be had, and i'm going to down those fawkers like never before. bye.

#7 ·

I picked my seal out with a good quality screwdriver then pulled the brg. I know that the axle repair brg kit (for when the original spins in the housing) is a one piece unit seal & bearing, maybe someone previously had to install one? There is a small lip behind the outer brg. shell in the housing, actually a stopping point i guess so it cant go in any further, but it should`nt stop you from getting a grip on it unless the puller is a real piece of

#9 ·

I looked at that bolt when i took mine out and it appeared that the ends (threaded and the rod) were smooth not jagged as if it had broke so i assumed they were two parts (one of which the Haynes didnt show) , but Now after this discussion, im nervous
, i put the two parts back in and used lok-tite on the threads, is my rear gonna grenade on me someday
, apparently that bolt HAD been broken for some time though, my rear cover has never been removed prior to me pulling it off recently.

G
#10 ·

I had problems getting my beearings out too. I was using the zones 3 prong slide hammer and worked on it for like an hour with no luck. finally i got pissed and seriously went ape sh!t on it and it came out. but not before sending the bearing rollers into orbit as you did.

The trick that i found out was to move the slide hammer handle a couple degrees in a circle each time you hammer it. eventually i was able to work it out. After I figured that out the other side was easy.

#11 ·

OR, if not quite ready for the big boy (1 ton), buy that DETROIT burned has and be done with the weak LSD carrier. Then it sounds like you just need a pinion gear. Hmmm never asked before, can a pinion gear be replaced without the ring gear? I would think it could, if there is no damage or wear.

#12 ·

The detroit is gone.
as for replacing just the pinion. they are supposed to be replaced in pairs. i do happen to have a set of 3.08 and 3.55 R&P's though if somebody wants them for shipping.
muddy is talking about the piston pin/piston shaft which goes through the carrier and holds the spider gears in place.

#13 ·

after seeing the chipped gears, I'm definitely going to have to get a Detroit or 1-ton, though I was fairly impressed with the beef of the axle shafts, but it's a shame that diameter doesnt extend into the splines

i'm about to go tackle it again, my puller just has a 2-jaw attachment, but it does have a cup that screws down to hold the jaws out, hopefully i can get it out. i think there IS a repair bearing in there, so that's what I'm replacing it with. i didnt get a new lock bolt, how can i tell if mine is torque-to-yield?

#14 ·

i didnt get a new lock bolt, how can i tell if mine is torque-to-yield?
Don't know if there is a way without access to a bolt stretch gauge.

However, per Havack:
The bolt to which you spoke of is about two inches long with only about 1/2 inch or so threaded. Ford carrys them for about $1.00 each.
Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

That's bizzare about the axle bearing.
I've never had a problem on the 9".
How's about heating the housing, then using an ice cube on the bearing, then pull real quick.

#15 ·

Do as RAGE said, i also did the same , keep turning the jaws of the puller after a few pulls or better yet, return that P.O.S. two jaw puller for a 3 jaw

Doug, i dont know what bolt is in your 9" but i dont think that little one in the 8.8 with a 5/16" head on it is a torque to yield & the 9" has a tapered brg. pressed onto the axle rather than into the housing.

The repair bearing unit will have a o-ring on the outer surface of the shell(should you ever get it out
), i also used one of those loaner pullers from the zone, boy, a 95 dollar deposit on a P.O.S. thats made in china
, but guess i cant complain, it did the job despite the fact someone had been grinding on the jaw tips with a bench grinder

#16 ·

yeah, it was actually supposed to be a 3 jaw puller, but somebody left out 2 of the pieces i needed to use the 3 jaw one, so i screwed their 2 jaw all to hell trying to yank that bearing out
i have a brand new one with 3 jaws now, so that sucker better come out or I'm going to go hunt down another rearend tomorrow

i had visions of the pinion shaft creeping out at 80mph and got scared, so I'm gonna stop by the super-reamer tomorrow and pick up a new bolt... Haynes says specifically to not reuse that bolt, so I'm not going to take any chances. MANIA, i think you're living on borrowed time, next time you pull the cover you might want to replace that bolt with a one-piece unit

#17 ·

ok, a couple hours with the chinese 3 jaw puller didnt work either... does somebody sell a higher quality tool that would do this job? the one in Haynes is a rectangular thing that flips out to engage the bearing, but i wonder if Sears would have something like that? the problem is that the jaws just pop out after a couple hits, but even that first good hit over 20 different times hasnt budged that damn bearing. would a propane torch on the housing help? i'm about to give up, i coulda swapped rears 20 times by now

#19 ·

i'm afraid i would hack the housing up, but it might be worth a shot. i also noticed that this repair bearing sticks about 1/4" out the end of the housing, so i was considering taking my grinder and making a notch in that part that I could then sledge with a drift and try to rotate the race. that would break the superhuman adhesion it appears to have to the housing, and the slide hammer would probably work after it busted loose. (maybe) i tried to grab that edge with the crescent but it's tapered just enough to make that impossible. grrrr

#20 ·

Sooooo,
Have you tried the heat on the housing and ice (better yet, dry ice) on the bearing race yet?
I've used Steve's method of the dremel with good success on some parts.
But, you're a smart guy Muddy, don't try it if you're not comfortable doing it.

#21 ·

Muddy,

Actually i used my chiltons manual when i did it cuz it has better exploded views than haynes, it dont say anything about replacing it, just to torque to 15-22 lbs.
But it does show it being One-Piece

Damn, i hate gear oil

Ford 8.8s!!!!

#22 ·

SHE'S BACK ON THE ROAD! After trying all the brute force options that were mentioned, I looked really closely and realized that the c-clip on the repair bearing was just barely hitting the puller jaws and preventing them from fully engaging the back side of the repair bearing outer sleeve
After I removed the clip, two wacks with the slide hammer and it was out
It's a damn good thing too, cuz I was about 20 minutes from going to the junkyard and shelling out big bucks to replace the whole rearend
$350

by the way, i got a new lockpin with yellow loctite on it for $2.50 after tax from FORD... yeah i think that's some nice cheap insurance
(hint hint, forum member with 2-piece lockpin, it's time to smell the sulphur
)

thanks for all the replies, this thread is CLOSED
and lots of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.