Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - ?'s replacing valve cover gasket
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 05:22 PM
cj80carr

Re: ?\'s replacing valve cover gasket

I have had a plastic one on mine now for a couple years with no leaks that might be a record . My old one was warped from the previous owner tightening the nuts on top too tight, causing the cover to bulge . I wanted to go with an aluminum one but do to a tight budget i got one from 4wd. I used that sponge rubber gasket that it came with at first it lasted about two months before it was leaking. Its like the gasket became saturated with oil and began seeping all over. I hate doing things over so i got the old fashioned thick cork one.I cleaned the head good with carb cleaner and put down a light smear of black rtv let it set up a bit laid down the gasket and put the cover on snug down the top nuts just hand tight. on the manifold side you have some studs that the kit gives you nuts and a fat washer thing . I put on a couple more on the remaining studs i had using regular washers and nuts.start from the middle and work your way out tightening them. The trick is just snug them down lightly and let it set up over night. hope this helps Bob !

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome